New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Next Batch Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
brandona33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Next Batch Question

I curently have a similar batch to Apfelwin but I used an Ale yeast. I also have a Hefeweizen (which I will be racking to secondary tomorrow) bubbling away. I read on some cider threads people have liked the outcome from Cider with Hefeweizen yeast.

My question: If after I rack my Hefeweizen to secondary, could I utilize the yeast already in that bucket by dumping my Cider ingredients on the cake at the bottom?

Will it be different than making my cide and pitching Hefeweizen yeast from the vial right onto it? I think I could save some $$$ this way.

Any other info on doing this would be helpful. I've only been brewing for 1 1/2 months and the act of re-using a yeast cake in a fermenter is something I didn't find in any books I bought.
Thank you in advance and for the very helpful info o this site for a noob!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2008, 03:45 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

You could, but realize that the cider will have a bit of a beery taste to it. It would probably taste more like a cyser than a cider....

It would be a really interesting cider...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-26-2008, 03:48 PM   #3
brandona33
Recipes 

Thank you for the quick reply.* I may just spend the extra $$$ and go with a fresh yeast from LHBS.* Thanks!

Old 02-26-2008, 03:59 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

Just a thought....Pull a couple spoonfulls of the used hefe yeast and make a small batch of cider in a 1 gallon glass jug. You might find out you like the taste, and have created something new and unique.... So next time you brew a hefe you can make a 5 gallon batch of this cider.

There's a lot to be said for experimentation...and you'd only be out a gallon of cider....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-26-2008, 08:09 PM   #5
Reddy
Recipes 

On my next batch of cider I'm going to use a Hefe yeast I think... sounds like they get great results. Let us know how it works.

Secondary 2: Backyard Blackberry/Grape Wine
Bottled/Drinking: Spiced Belgium Ale, Pumpkin Ale, and a variety of cider, mead and farmhouse wines
On Deck: Coffee Porter?

Quick Reply