Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > NewISH question how to dry to sweet?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
dowlings
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default NewISH question how to dry to sweet?

I recently got back in to brewing cider. Curently my favorite recipe is
http://ryleh.7hunters.net/brew/brew.htm
(Thor's Hammer). This recipe always comes out dry (which is still really tasty), but I was wanting to try a sweet cider. Where do I need to deviate in this process to make it a sweet cider. Also any other suggestions on process or recipe are welcome.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
cyberlord
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Since the recipe calls to add Potassium Sorbate, then just add more of what ever kind of sweetener you like to taste. Some of it will ferment as the remaining yeast die off but not much if you let the cider clear for a few months before sweetening.

The only thing I'd do differently than the author did would be to rack the cider off the sediment into another 5 gallon container (5 gallon water jug is just fine for this and cheap at your local *-mart store) then add the sorbate and stir. Then I'd stir in apple concentrate to sweeten to taste. I'd try a can at a time and let sit overnight to make sure its well blended into the mix.

I used to have a six-pack, but now I have a keg.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberlord View Post
Since the recipe calls to add Potassium Sorbate, then just add more of what ever kind of sweetener you like to taste. Some of it will ferment as the remaining yeast die off but not much if you let the cider clear for a few months before sweetening.

The only thing I'd do differently than the author did would be to rack the cider off the sediment into another 5 gallon container (5 gallon water jug is just fine for this and cheap at your local *-mart store) then add the sorbate and stir. Then I'd stir in apple concentrate to sweeten to taste. I'd try a can at a time and let sit overnight to make sure its well blended into the mix.
+1 on racking off sediment first then you can stir your concentrate in to make sure it is uniform. I also believe to absolutely stop refermentation you will want to add campden tabs (1 / gallon) as well as the sorbate.

The last 5 gallons of cider I kegged was fermented quite dry and I added 3 cans concentrate took it to 1.018 and plenty sweet for my taste. I think 1.01 would have been preferable to my taste but it still quite good.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:42 AM   #4
dowlings
Recipes 

I don't have carbonation equipment,won't the tablets stop the remaining east from carbonating my bottles? And I do rack to a secondary before the potassium sorbate step, but I don't stir.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:24 AM   #5
cyberlord
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlings View Post
I don't have carbonation equipment,won't the tablets stop the remaining east from carbonating my bottles? And I do rack to a secondary before the potassium sorbate step, but I don't stir.
If you're going to carb in the bottle then you'll need to pasteurize in the bottle. There is a sticky in the Cider Forum on that subject. You'd then not add the sorbate.

You rack off the lees into secondary and if adding sorbate then stir. If bottling carbing then again do not add sorbate.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #6
dowlings
Recipes 

ok I think i got it if i back carb carb no sorbte and pasturise it, thats the one where i cook the bottle right?

Old 05-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
cyberlord
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlings View Post
ok I think i got it if i back carb carb no sorbte and pasturise it, thats the one where i cook the bottle right?
Yuppers.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS