LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2013, 03:36 AM   #1
Bigjack68
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Newbie Here

Hi folks im a newbie at this. I just put together my first batch about 11 days ago and had some questions...

1) when will i know when its "done" i have an airlock and i get a bubble about every 10-15 seconds.

2) id like to bottle this so that it is carbonated. Are regular plastic pop/soda bottles ok for this???

Thanks for any advice!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 03:45 AM   #2
tyzippers
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 404 Times on 300 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Welcome to the addiction!

1) It's done when your specific gravity reading doesn't change for a few days. If you don't have a hydrometer and test jar, I'd suggest you get one. They're cheap and invaluable!

2) I know of a few people on here that bottle in plastic two-liter pop bottles. It's doable. I can't specifically comment on how, but I assume the process wouldn't be any different than using glass bottles with crowns.

Check me out on Untappd. Or don't. See if I care.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:41 AM   #3
Ostomo517
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyzippers View Post
Welcome to the addiction!

1) It's done when your specific gravity reading doesn't change for a few days. If you don't have a hydrometer and test jar, I'd suggest you get one. They're cheap and invaluable!

2) I know of a few people on here that bottle in plastic two-liter pop bottles. It's doable. I can't specifically comment on how, but I assume the process wouldn't be any different than using glass bottles with crowns.
Just as Ty said about the hydrometer and test jar same for a capper, cheap and invaluable. No better feeling than using a bottle opener to crack your own brew!

Old 04-22-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
Bigjack68
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

UPDATE!
I bottled this batch on 4/18 using pop/soda bottles and added some sugar to carb. It came out nice n bubbly with a very dry but not unpleasant(at least to me) taste. Hydrometer readings say 5.5% alcohol content but i really think its higher than that due to the very prevalant taste of alcohol. Not bad for my first batch. Waiting on the orchard for next batch.

Quick Reply