The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Newbie with fermentation questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #11
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Head shops will charge a premium, better off looking online.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #12
LeBreton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Online may be cheaper, but you get better service locally imo. My most recent scale purchased was busted and couldn't calibrate correctly, brought it back to the shop and they swapped it out no prob.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #13
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBreton
Online may be cheaper, but you get better service locally imo. My most recent scale purchased was busted and couldn't calibrate correctly, brought it back to the shop and they swapped it out no prob.
If you buy from a reputable online site, you would get replaced as well. The premium from buying at a head shop can be pretty high, online makes much more sense. Unless of course, you don't care about overpaying for stuff.

Check Amazon before buying at a head shop, it will likely be cheaper, you won't have to pay sales tax, will ship for free, and it's easy to get something replaced from Amazon if there's an issue.

Plus, you won't have to deal with local law enforcement writing your tag number down and looking for any reason to pull you over. That's a common issue with head shops.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #14
AussieCider
Recipes 

Yeah. I have tried some shops around my area, which is known for being pretty dodgy of a spot. Every time I roll up to a shop in my crappy little car, with my ratty dreadlocks, dirty board shorts and TOOL shirt on.....I immediately get funny looks when I ask for scales.....no idea why Head shops might be a little less judgemental, but I reckon online is probably the best bet. I might have a look on Amazon a little later. Thanks guys. Also, the swamp cooling system sounds like it might be a decent idea. I found an old phone charger recently, cut the cord and attached it to an old computer fan. Does quite a good job. So all I am left to do is wrap them in towels and find a suitable resivior.

Thanks again guys!

Old 04-05-2012, 02:52 AM   #15
AussieCider
Recipes 

Bit of an update here. This morning marks 1 week of primary for the cider, and the awful smell (still very strong last night) seems to be going away. I didn't check the SG, due to a lack of time, but I will as soon as I am home. I did check the SG a few days ago and it was sitting right at 1000, so Im guessing that it will either have stopped there, or be slightly below.

I'm tossing up whether to rack the cider off tonight, or to wait until it smells the way I would like it to before I rack.....or whether to just give it another full week in primary to 'clean up after itself'. I don't want to run the risk of imparting off flavours by leaving it on the lees too long. There have been no bubbles for quite a while now, and the mean temp will have dropped a bit due to cooler weather setting in.
Any thoughts on this one?

My first (blind) batch, was bottled and seems to have begun carbonating now, but I don't have super high hopes for it, It tastes very bland and shallow, I now realise that I racked it off WAY too early from both primary and secondary. then forgot to prime it for carbonation, then decided in my infinite wisdom that I should add a tiny pinch of DAP and some more sugar, as well as a tiiiiny yeast pitch to get carbonation happening more vigorously. So I'm pretty sure I have done EVERYTHING I would possibly have done wrong with this one. Will let you all know how awful it tastes once I decide to drink it.

Thanks.

Quick Reply