Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Newb question re:flash pastuerization and campden. Also, cyser question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
cervid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Newb question re:flash pastuerization and campden. Also, cyser question

I'm getting ready to make my first cider tonight and am hoping one of the experts may see this before I get too far.

The cider I am starting with is from a local orchard, Friske. They have won many awards, but in Michigan, any cider makers who sell at wholesale must pasteurize. I'm a good customer of theirs so I bought 5 gallons anyway, after I spoke with the owner for 10 minutes. I felt like I had to. I can get unpasteurized cider down the road, and may do that next week and make that for Christmas, but I digress.

So, this cider is flash pasteurized at 160 for 6 seconds, and has no preservatives. Should I still add campden tablets prior to pitching my yeast as if it were unpasteurized?

Lastly, I was considering using honey to up the OG to 1.060 per the sticky post that spoke about it clearing better with honey. However, I want it to be ready for Thanksgiving. Should I even bother with the honey?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
cervid
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Or, I could use brown sugar or dextrose if others though that might ferment out faster, which I think it would.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4451 Times on 3240 Posts
Likes Given: 866

If it's been pasteurized, you won't need campden.

I don't like the taste of fermented brown sugar, but any fermentables will work if you like them!

Old 10-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
cervid
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

If I chose to add 2 lbs of maple sugar I have, would I need to boil that considering I am forgoing the campden? I see a lot of recipes that just call for adding sugar to the must, but those recipes are also adding campden. I'm not as worried about the preservative aspect of the sulfite, this will all be drank before Christmas and I plan on refrigerating it after pasteurization anyway. I am planning for a sweeter cider, and am not worried if the Nottingham doesn't ferment it all the way down, I'm not adding any nutrients.

The family will love a brew with Michigan apples and Michigan maple syrup!

Old 10-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4451 Times on 3240 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervid View Post
If I chose to add 2 lbs of maple sugar I have, would I need to boil that considering I am forgoing the campden? I see a lot of recipes that just call for adding sugar to the must, but those recipes are also adding campden. I'm not as worried about the preservative aspect of the sulfite, this will all be drank before Christmas and I plan on refrigerating it after pasteurization anyway. I am planning for a sweeter cider, and am not worried if the Nottingham doesn't ferment it all the way down, I'm not adding any nutrients.

The family will love a brew with Michigan apples and Michigan maple syrup!
Whatever sugar you add will ferment out. If you want a sweet maple syrup taste in the cider, I'd add it after fermentation. Otherwise, you can add whatever sugars you want to boost the fermentables.

Quick Reply