Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > New guy needs help with cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
smrogers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default New guy needs help with cider

I started my first batch of cider about one year ago, used dark brown sugar and raisons so the color is similar to gasoline only with a slight haze. It smells like hard whisky and taste harder with a bitter bite. I have close to 6 gallons and would hate to lose it all. Does anyone have any ideas or remedies to give it some taste and make it an ease on the pallet; as well as having people actually want to drink it. FYI first post

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 892 Times on 643 Posts
Likes Given: 1960

Hi and welcome. Other than age and time, I'm not sure what else to suggest for you. You could try to backsweeten it to make it more palatable. Here's info on that www.makinghardcider.com

Also, in the cider forum here at hbt you'll find lots of info. I've moved your post there, take a look around. Also, in the cider forum other cidermakers will find it and perhaps chime in.

smrogers Likes This 
Old 10-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrogers View Post
I started my first batch of cider about one year ago, used dark brown sugar and raisons so the color is similar to gasoline only with a slight haze. It smells like hard whisky and taste harder with a bitter bite. I have close to 6 gallons and would hate to lose it all. Does anyone have any ideas or remedies to give it some taste and make it an ease on the pallet; as well as having people actually want to drink it. FYI first post
What was your starting gravity and final gravity? How much sugar did you use? What yeast did you use?
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider

Old 10-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 723 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 1814

And did you use yeast nutrient? Has the cider been under airlock the whole year? Did ever rack, or has it been sitting on the lees all this time? What kind of juice? Knowing your recipe & process will really help us to help you.
Regards, GF.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #5
gcastrat
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This seems a bit strange. Even the higher ciders I've brewed, with 3-5 lbs of honey added an a vigorous yeast have still tasted great after a year. Something tells me you are using a bad yeast and fermenting way to high to produce that amount of fusels. It's almost impossible to guess wihtout the specifics of your recipe and general fermentation temperatures. If it is in fact gasoline, I'll pay around $4/gallon for it. Oh wait, maybe $3/gal since the election is coming.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:50 AM   #6
smrogers
Recipes 

I used 118 campaign yeast starter and the juice was fresh cider from a press. I do not recall the grav. I do other than the finished was very close to 0, as for the rest it was racked x3 and kept sealed with an air lock covered at room temp. Sugar was combination dark brown and white cane, raisons were added also. I hope this helps it was a last min thing where we had access to the juice after a fire company function (Oct Fest) and 3 of us did not want it to go to waste.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 723 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 1814

MacIntosh juice can be a little bitter after fermentation. You might backsweeten & maybe add a bit of malic acid to get it a bit more balanced. Regards, GF.

Quick Reply