New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > New Cider Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2006, 03:40 PM   #1
mpetty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New Cider Project

Hello everyone -

I started a cider project last night. I have two 1-gallon batches. In one of the batches, I just poured the juice from the bottle into the jug, added the starter, and airlocked it.

I was a bit more ambitious with the second. I added cloves, pumpkin pie spice, and about 2 pounds of brown sugar. I got this up to 160 degrees and kept it there for 30 minutes, then cooled it quickly and transferred it to a jug, pitched the starter, and airlocked it. I took a SG reading for this, and after I let the herbs settle in the hydrometer tube, I had a room temperature reading of 1.104! Is it normally this high?

The unfermented cider from the second experiment tasted excellent, though it was very, very sweet.

Primary: What Ale experiment with a friend (10-gallon batch, two fermenters, two yeasts: American Hefeweizen and plain Hefeweizen)
Secondary: None
Bottled Yellow Dog Ale | Oatmeal Stout (1st mini-mash) | Cider: Plain Apple Juice | American Amber Ale| California Common, American Pale Ale
Up next: Extra Special Bitter and another spiced cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2006, 10:06 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

A pound of sugar in a gallon of cider will add as much as 46 points, two would be 92 points. I'm actually surprised your batch is only 1.104. Most fresh ciders run around 1.030-1.040.

Plan on a very long ferment for the second batch, like 2-3 months.

I just kegged most of a five gallon batch of spiced cider and added a pound of brown sugar to the gallon that was left. Stirred the yeast up and away it goes.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-11-2006, 03:22 PM   #3
mpetty
Recipes 

How do you figure out how many points it will add?

Perhaps I could use this 1 gallon batch as a starter to a 3 or 5 gallon batch.

Primary: What Ale experiment with a friend (10-gallon batch, two fermenters, two yeasts: American Hefeweizen and plain Hefeweizen)
Bottled Yellow Dog Ale | Oatmeal Stout (1st mini-mash) | Cider: Plain Apple Juice | American Amber Ale| California Common, American Pale Ale

Old 01-11-2006, 09:11 PM   #4
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpetty
Hello everyone -I started a cider project last night.
Good work! I'm glad you have. Gallon batches are a great way of experimenting - I certainly use them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpetty
How do you figure out how many points it will add?
Many books/sites will give charts for sugar weight/water volume/potential alcohol content etc. I'll dig one out if you insist (you'll find one on the web) but i suggest caution for a two simple reasons.
'Sugar' - not all of these (as i'm sure you know) are fully fermentable and are processed by yeast fully. Many dark sugars (with spices added too!) can be overpowering in flavour unless aged.
'Yeast' - not all of them cope with sugar levels (or Temps) in the same way if you use a beer/ale yeast etc with cider etc.
Better to try and work out alcohol levels/spices/sweetness etc in the one gallon experiments first for personal taste.

Old 01-12-2006, 12:48 AM   #5
mpetty
Recipes 

Yes 1-gallon's are great!

I've been fantasizing about a wheat-like grain beer experiment. 5 gallons, and aside from the usual barley levels, I'd have two gallons with all wheat adjuncts, then 3 other gallons with a combination of wheat, quinoa, amaranth, and some other grain.

It would be a whole week of quick-batch brewing!

Quick Reply