Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > New to cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
brewmaster89
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default New to cider

So I want to brew some cider this weekend and use a combo of a few recipes and just want to make sure I have this right. I am fairly new to the homebrew scene having only done 3 batches of beer. Two of which are still fermenting.

I was planning on using Dave's Carmel Apple Cider recipe and add a little honey to it also. Not sure how much I will determine that later.

My questions are how much yeast on average do you guys add? And also anything other little things I should know? I have been reading a lot about cider and have seen the horror stories about exploding bottles and pasteurizing the bottles and all that so I kind of know about that.

Sorry for the newb questions. I was also thinking about doing this one as well.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/cara...-cider-292770/

See which one I like better.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
brewmaster89
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

And do you guys ferment in a plastic bucket or do all of you guys use carboys?

Old 04-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
jefflane510
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmaster89
And do you guys ferment in a plastic bucket or do all of you guys use carboys?
I use a 55 gallon white HDPE barrel for my cider. I guess that's a big plastic bucket. After primary, I'll transfer to the carboys and let it sit in the basement for a couple months at about 50°F.

I get a yeast starter going in my 5 gallon carboy. Usually I used two packages of yeast to get it started. Just the little packages of white wine or champagne yeast is all.

Good luck!

Old 04-06-2012, 02:15 AM   #4
Fizzycist
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I use a 6 gallon glass carboy but so many people use the 6-7 gallon food grade plastic bucket that I have no doubt those are fine. I usually let it sit about 3 weeks in the primary fermentor, then about 2 weeks in the secondary with some pectic enzyme to clear it up, but that's strictly optional.
As for yeast, most dry yeast packages are the correct size to add one pack for 5 gallons. Some of the wine yeasts, like Lalvin EC-1118 are smaller packs so you would add two. If in doubt, ask your LHBS.
If you want sweet, carbonated cider, follow the sticky on pasteurizing to a T, you can't go wrong.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:05 AM   #5
brewmaster89
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzycist View Post
I use a 6 gallon glass carboy but so many people use the 6-7 gallon food grade plastic bucket that I have no doubt those are fine. I usually let it sit about 3 weeks in the primary fermentor, then about 2 weeks in the secondary with some pectic enzyme to clear it up, but that's strictly optional.
As for yeast, most dry yeast packages are the correct size to add one pack for 5 gallons. Some of the wine yeasts, like Lalvin EC-1118 are smaller packs so you would add two. If in doubt, ask your LHBS.
If you want sweet, carbonated cider, follow the sticky on pasteurizing to a T, you can't go wrong.
Thanks for the info! I plan to follow the pasteurizing sticky. I already have that bookmarked and have read it a few times already.

Quick Reply