The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > New Brewer attempting Graff

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2009, 07:31 PM   #1
Pyledriver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New Brewer attempting Graff

So i just started brewing, been learning a lot on these forums and from my local brew shop. I currently have 5 gallons of Graff fermenting away that i made with 1/4 lb 60L and 1/4 lb 120L and around 4% hops. my question is that when i go to bottle how much of what sweetener should i use and should i cold crash it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2009, 10:02 PM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 38

For bottle carbonating you probably need about 4-5 oz of corn sugar for a five gallon batch. If you're talking about sweetener for flavoring purposes then you'll have some issues to deal with if you're planning on bottle carbing.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:55 PM   #3
Pyledriver
Recipes 

Thanks, i was just referring to what would be needed for bottle carbing. I've also red about carbonation tabs. does anyone know how well these work and if you can use them in place of sweetener and further fermentation?

Old 09-02-2009, 11:32 PM   #4
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Can't help you on the carb tabs, from what I've read the Coopers ones are better than the ones from Muntons. Are you planning on priming each bottle separately? If you have a bottling bucket it makes things a lot easier because you can just dissolve the corn sugar in boiling water and then add it to the bottling bucket while the beer is being transferred.

The only batches I bottle prime still are my 2 gallon Mr. Beer batches and they're not bad because I still use the one liter bottles that came with the kit. So, it's only eight bottles.

If you're planning on priming each bottle with sugar...have fun. I'd probably look into the carb drops if that is the case.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:20 AM   #5
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 10 Posts

I didn't think the carb tabs were great when I used them.

I prefer 7/8 cup of dextrose for graff carbing. quart of water with 7/8 cup dextrose heated up then cooled.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:11 AM   #6
Pyledriver
Recipes 

should it be brought up to a boil or will just hot enough to dissolve it be fine. oh and by the way just checked it SG is at 1.021, smells great.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:37 AM   #7
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyledriver View Post
should it be brought up to a boil or will just hot enough to dissolve it be fine. oh and by the way just checked it SG is at 1.021, smells great.
I always bring it just to a boil and then remove it from the heat. Then I start the siphon from the fermenter into the bottling bucket and make sure the end of the siphon tube is on the bottom in a way that causes it to swirl into the bottling bucket. I let about half a gallon of wort transfer over and then pour the hot sugar syrup in as it continues to transfer. I figure letting that first half gallon transfer provides enough of a buffer so that the near boiling liquid doesn't melt anything and the whirlpool action causes it to mix within a few seconds.

Have fun. I might have to throw a few more bottles of Graff in the fridge for the weekend. It's hot around here today and a pint or two would go down nicely! I might tweak the recipe here and there, but I think Graff has kind of become my go to cider recipe at this point. Thanks again for the recipe Brandon!

Old 09-03-2009, 04:05 AM   #8
Pyledriver
Recipes 

Thanks for the pointers, tips from experienced brewers is almost always more useful than tips from books.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:14 AM   #9
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyledriver View Post
Thanks for the pointers, tips from experienced brewers is almost always more useful than tips from books.
There are plenty of great books out there. I recommend How to Brew and Homebrewing for Dummies, but reading this site has taught me a great deal. My suggestion, just keep coming here as often as possible for a few months and keep checking the new threads since your last login. Before you know it you'll have answers to a healthy portion of your brewing questions long before you ever need to worry about finding the answers.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
Pyledriver
Recipes 

Thanks again shooter, I will definitely check out those books.

Quick Reply