Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Need help kegging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
smithw44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Need help kegging

I'm kegging my rasberry cider Thursday night need help. It was in primary for 6-7 weeks then went to secondary over 2 1/2 pounds of raspberries for 2-3 weeks fruit is white I was told to rack after this happens so cider doesnt get tart from seeds. I used a cote de blanc yeast what I need help with is do I back sweeten? If so what do I use...some pple use orchard hill apple/rasberry concentrate and add potassium sorbate and sulfite is this
Needed to kill the yeast when kegging?and how much would i use? If I dont do this what are my other options to backsweeten or should I skip
It altogether? Thanks for any help

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Only you can decide if your cider needs sweetening. Since you are kegging, I'd hold off for a couple months. You can always add lactose to sweeten, that won't ferment out. If you didn't add cane sugar to boost the ABV, there's a good chance the cider will not need to be sweeter.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
Spinal_Tap
Recipes 

You should have a look at the sticky about yeast and cider experiments.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/results-juice-yeast-sugar-experiments-83060/

It's pretty amazing, really, the amount of info there.

99% of what I know about cider, I got from there.

Back sweetening: Do it of your cider is too bitter/acidic, or you like sweet cider

You don't need to kill the yeast for kegging. I cold-crash mine, and keep it cold. I use ale yeast, so anything leftover is not too perky in kegerator.

Good luck!

Quick Reply