The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Need Help With Bottle Conditioning, Not Getting Enough Fizz

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 01:26 AM   #1
UncaMarc
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Need Help With Bottle Conditioning, Not Getting Enough Fizz

I'm on my third batch of 14 day cider. Got a great recipe which I will gladly share after I work out this one last thing.

Once I have fermented from 1.060 to 1.004 I then back sweeten with concentrate (no preservatives only ascorbic acid) and immediately bottle.

I let them go about a week and found a bit of a "puff" in the bottles so I stove top pasteurized.

Just not enough of the bubbly.

Should I add a pinch of yeast to the bottling bucket? I'm racking off of the lees into the bottling bucket before adding the concentrate. No chemicals at all added (except yeast nutrient and my special sugar recipe at the primary fermentation stage).

Any ideas how to up the fizz?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 01:47 AM   #2
CodlingMoth
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

A little dextrose in the bottle maybe?

Old 01-09-2013, 01:51 AM   #3
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Maybe a warmer location to bottle condition.

"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider

Old 01-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
EatBeerSleep
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncaMarc View Post
I'm on my third batch of 14 day cider. Got a great recipe which I will gladly share after I work out this one last thing.

Once I have fermented from 1.060 to 1.004 I then back sweeten with concentrate (no preservatives only ascorbic acid) and immediately bottle.

I let them go about a week and found a bit of a "puff" in the bottles so I stove top pasteurized.

Just not enough of the bubbly.

Should I add a pinch of yeast to the bottling bucket? I'm racking off of the lees into the bottling bucket before adding the concentrate. No chemicals at all added (except yeast nutrient and my special sugar recipe at the primary fermentation stage).

Any ideas how to up the fizz?
I had the same problem but I figured i just pasteurized a bit to early. (was scared of bottle bombs).
I have another batch going now and will add the "norm" 5 oz of dextrose after desired sweetness and wait a little longer (checking carbonation periodically) berfore i pasteurize.
BOTTLEDHarvest Porter, Strawbarian Wheat, chocolate orange stout

Old 01-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
jackfrost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

This is the reason I use the swingtop lids....cause if I go to long before I pasteurize then I can open all the bottle really prime and start over only thing that changes is abv no harm no foul

Old 01-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

With pasteurized bottles, I'd just drink them still. If there's at least a little pop the CO2 will hopefully help keep them stable for a little while. The only way to make those fizzy would be to open them up add a dash of sugar and a dash of yeast. Getting it perfect for each and every one would be a pain. (in my opinion)

What yeast strain are you using? If you are using the same yeast on each batch...maybe try a different strain?

Old 01-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
cooper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Would the bottles start to pop if you let them condition for two weeks and then pasteurize?

Old 01-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
jackfrost
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
Would the bottles start to pop if you let them condition for two weeks and then pasteurize?
Fill a coke bottle the same time you fill you glass bottles when it gets hard then test ....if you like then pasteurized.

Quick Reply