Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > The necessity of 2 stage fermentation with hard cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2006, 09:53 PM   #11
Caplan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grymhammer
What is, if anyone can compare, homebrew hard cider suppose to taste like?

I made a 1 gallon with 100% cider, and it fermented out in 3 days, I then racked it to a secondary and it was darn clear in less than a week.

All excited that I was I took a sip and almost heaved. It's been almost a month and a half, and frankly, its only taking up space.

I split it in two and back sweetened one of them, but as noted above, no luck.

It has a sour smell, and almost a sulfur aroma and taste. I did use Lalvin 71b -1122 yeast, as it was what I had on hand.

Suggestions?
Bottle it, forget it for six months and then try tasting again. It will improve! Also if it's only 1 gallon then it's no hardship sparing bottles for this experiment

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2006, 03:43 AM   #12
Cap'n Jewbeard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I would generally agree that letting it sit for a while can do nothing but help. But, on the other hand- do you think something nasty got in there? Would it make that kind of sulfury-thing happen?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply