Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > naturally carbing cider in a keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
BWN
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default naturally carbing cider in a keg

I know cider needs to be carbed at a much higher level than beer. Since my kegerator doesn't have a secondary regulator I was wondering what would happen if I primed my keg with sugar and let it sit for a few weeks before chilling and tapping it. I am wondering if it would stay carbed or eventually level out to my serving pressure.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
DoctorWho
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Two things will happen(assuming ideal conditions

1)It will carb naturally in the keg, but it will be hard to tell when it has reached the proper psi (without hooking it up to the regulator)

2)It will eventually level out to serving psi unless you force more C02 or let it come to room temperature again.

I have a similar setup, several kegs with only one gas line. I find it easiest to force carb each keg to what ever psi, then switch the gas line when serving, and when done, top it off to original psi. A little hassle from moving the gas line, but I have great carb kegs all the time.

Bottled: Edwort's Apfelwein, Brandon O's Graff, More Graff, Spiced Graff, Ginger Beer
Up Next: Graham's English Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply