Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > N/A sparkling cider recipe? Help?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2011, 01:59 AM   #1
Jsmith82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default N/A sparkling cider recipe? Help?

So it's entirely possible that Mrs. Jsmith will not be able to drink alcohol for the next nine months if you catch my drift

I thought it would be cool if I could pipeline a sparkling apple cider for her but I'm really having issues finding a recipe or methods for carbonating apple juice without ending up with alcohol in it. I don't have a kegging setup nor could I afford one so what are my options here?

My first thought was sugar free apple juice, add 3oz sugar, then pitch champagne yeast and bottle but that would end up with a very minor abv. Could I use carbonation tablets? I also saw something on the net called "tap a draft" but honestly it looks like a piece of junk and I want bottles.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
Jsmith82
Recipes 

Still looking for advice on this if anyone is willing to help...

I found a brand at Schnucks, our local grocer, you can get a wine bottles worth for about 2.30 but after 1 bottle we both agreed it was WAAAAY to sweet and not carbonated enough.. Gave the both of us a stomach ache.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
TimsfamousCider
Recipes 

I am not an expert, but I think this may be hard without spending lots of money. You can force carb if u have a keg and what sounds like $500+ in equipment. This is basically something that can hold pressure and a tank of CO2.

If there is something like the carb tablets that u speak of, there must be some reason no one says to use them. Perhaps taste, cost or availability. They may also still be using yeast and sugar creating alcohol.

It would taste terrible, but you could test putting a alcho seltzer tablet in a bottle and see if it carbs it. If it does, maybe u can find out what chemical is used to make this reaction. Maybe this is what the carb tabs are?

Perhaps the soda making forums would be more helpful since they are use to carbing NA drinks. There may be some cheap workarounds.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
Jsmith82
Recipes 

I read up a bit on the tabs, they are made of sugar, dissolve, then reactivate left over yeast so I don't think that will be an option for me.

Here is the Tap-A_Draft system I found: click

Still unsure of its durability, it's a love hate thing when reading reviews.

I think I'll pop over to the soda forums and read up on carbing techniques like you said. Cheers!

Old 09-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4280 Times on 3119 Posts
Likes Given: 825

Heck, you could do that easy. I make soda all the time, and champagne yeast is what carbonates it.

I wouldn't even use artificial sweeteners- just like with soda, use real sugar and bottle in plastic bottles. When the bottles get hard, stick them in the fridge (to halt fermentation).

There are soda recipes posted, as well as tips in the soda forum that could help.

What I would do is just get some great cider, add a cup of sugar (or honey or brown sugar, etc), add 1/2 teaspoon champagne yeast and bottle it in plastic soda bottles. When the bottles are hard, stick them in the fridge. That'd be all there is to it!

Old 09-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
MeadHorn
Recipes 

From my own research into making homemade soda, it sounds like if you just ferment long enough to get carbonation, the ABV is below .5%. I don't know if even that low of alcohol content is bad for the fetus, but I just thought I'd share that number with you.

Maybe another option could be to take frozen concentrate AJ and add sparkling water to it. Maybe not as cheap as juice + sugar + yeast, but it would be a non-alcoholic option.

Also, congratulations!

Last edited by MeadHorn; 09-12-2011 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Added FCAJ idea

Old 09-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
Jsmith82
Recipes 

Thanks guys (and gals!), I really would like to steer completely clear of any alcohol content if at all possible. However... I read that FASD is caused when women drink an excessive amount of alcohol so I would think that the occasional glass of .5% cider wouldn't hurt anything but this would also be my first kiddo, I'm overly paranoid I suppose..

I've also been pondering a way to get that dry flavor, neither one of us are big on the sweet flavor.

Thanks Meadhorn! Not a bad idea at all, I could try that out for pretty cheap so maybe we'll give it a go. Worst case, out 5 bucks.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
Jsmith82
Recipes 

Sorry for double posting, Yooper - Do you normally use 2 liter soda bottles?

Old 09-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #9
Old_E
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You are too paranoid. My wife drank a beer or glass of wine almost every day with both of our boys. They couldn't be any healthier. Fetuses like booze too, why deprive them?!?! (This is a joke... for the sensitive amongst us)

You will always have some alcohol unless you force carb. Do you have a keg system?

If so, either buy some carb caps and pour your juice into PET bottles and carb. Or put the juice in a keg and hook it up. If you are fermenting you are making alcohol . NO need to pipeline, no need to ferment, just carb up that juice and be done with it.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:21 PM   #10
Jsmith82
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_E View Post
You are too paranoid. My wife drank a beer or glass of wine almost every day with both of our boys. They couldn't be any healthier. Fetuses like booze too, why deprive them?!?! (This is a joke... for the sensitive amongst us)

You will always have some alcohol unless you force carb. Do you have a keg system?

If so, either buy some carb caps and pour your juice into PET bottles and carb. Or put the juice in a keg and hook it up. If you are fermenting you are making alcohol . NO need to pipeline, no need to ferment, just carb up that juice and be done with it.
Good to know I'm being overly paranoid It's good to hear your story though, this makes me feel WAY better about using yeast. I think I'll just go that route, I have a bunch of packets of Montrachet yeast around the house, maybe it will end up tasting like mild Edworts Apfelwein..

Edwort's Sparkling Apfelceider.

Quick Reply