Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > My Thoughts While Brewing Graff
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2009, 04:38 AM   #41
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Brandon O's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tempe
Posts: 1,238
Liked 39 Times on 10 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post
Yes, I'm trying my first batch of Graff, and Nottingham isn't taking off like it does with a batch of beer. It's been over 30 hrs. since I pitched (and this is a whole 11g packet into a 2.5 gal. batch), and I have NO action. Oh, well, I'll probably wait until the weekend -about 72 hours- before I think about repitching. Don't have any more Nottingham, but I have a packet of Red Star Champagne Yeast that will probably do.

I followed all the recipe directions to the letter (except, obviously, for cutting everything but the yeast in half). I'm using Mott's AJ from Sam's Club, which say it contains only apple juice and Vitamin C (ascorbic acid), which latter is a preservative, but isn't supposed to bother yeast.
did you aerate everything before pitching? What temp you fermenting at? Seamus got his stuck fermentation to eventually start again. I am sure you will be fine, but make note of the apple juice you used. I wouldn't use champagne yeast in this. I'm sure the notty will take off as long as you are around 70 degrees or so.
__________________
Brandon O is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2009, 02:54 PM   #42
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rico567's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central IL
Posts: 3,018
Liked 83 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon O View Post
did you aerate everything before pitching? What temp you fermenting at? Seamus got his stuck fermentation to eventually start again. I am sure you will be fine, but make note of the apple juice you used. I wouldn't use champagne yeast in this. I'm sure the notty will take off as long as you are around 70 degrees or so.
I only ærated by pouring the wort & apple juice into the fermenter.......but that's all I do when I brew regular beer, and the fermentation is usually going well in 12 - 18 hours, no matter what beer or what yeast is involved. The temperature might be the issue. I chilled the wort pretty well before putting it in, so I'd say the Nottingham was pitched around 70F. Now it's sitting in the basement, which is probably closer to 65. I'm used to fermenting my beer down there, and didn't think about temperature. I'll bring the fermenter upstairs....
__________________

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

rico567 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2009, 05:14 PM   #43
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Brandon O's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tempe
Posts: 1,238
Liked 39 Times on 10 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post
I only ærated by pouring the wort & apple juice into the fermenter.......but that's all I do when I brew regular beer, and the fermentation is usually going well in 12 - 18 hours, no matter what beer or what yeast is involved. The temperature might be the issue. I chilled the wort pretty well before putting it in, so I'd say the Nottingham was pitched around 70F. Now it's sitting in the basement, which is probably closer to 65. I'm used to fermenting my beer down there, and didn't think about temperature. I'll bring the fermenter upstairs....
I would just leave it, the conditions sound fine to me. If it doesn't start in a few days you might have some dead yeast.
__________________
Brandon O is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2009, 06:54 PM   #44
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rico567's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central IL
Posts: 3,018
Liked 83 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon O View Post
I would just leave it, the conditions sound fine to me. If it doesn't start in a few days you might have some dead yeast.
Well, it was 66.7F down in that basement, cool enough upstairs (70F), but I brought the bucket up anyway, swirled it around, and let the sun shine on it for a few hours. Somewhat to my surprise, given the total lack of any fermentation to that point- and I looked inside earlier, and it looked DEAD in there. Despite the brief interval involved, by noon the airlock was bubbling away. I moved the bucket back out of the sun, and now we shall see.......
__________________

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

rico567 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2009, 04:15 AM   #45
jaginger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 482
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post
Yes, I'm trying my first batch of Graff, and Nottingham isn't taking off like it does with a batch of beer. It's been over 30 hrs. since I pitched (and this is a whole 11g packet into a 2.5 gal. batch), and I have NO action. Oh, well, I'll probably wait until the weekend -about 72 hours- before I think about repitching. Don't have any more Nottingham, but I have a packet of Red Star Champagne Yeast that will probably do.

I followed all the recipe directions to the letter (except, obviously, for cutting everything but the yeast in half). I'm using Mott's AJ from Sam's Club, which say it contains only apple juice and Vitamin C (ascorbic acid), which latter is a preservative, but isn't supposed to bother yeast.
I pitched S-05 and Notty at the same time in 2 separate 3 gallon carboys that I had filled from the same boil. The S-05 was cranking very quickly and the Notty took at least a day (maybe a bit more) to really get going. I think you'll be fine.
__________________
jaginger is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2009, 04:39 PM   #46
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rico567's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central IL
Posts: 3,018
Liked 83 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaginger View Post
I pitched S-05 and Notty at the same time in 2 separate 3 gallon carboys that I had filled from the same boil. The S-05 was cranking very quickly and the Notty took at least a day (maybe a bit more) to really get going. I think you'll be fine.
Maybe that was it. The graff fermenter's airlock is cranking along quite steadily this morning, doesn't seem to be any problem now.
__________________

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

rico567 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2009, 05:24 PM   #47
TrendyGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 22
Default

I am going to be trying to make some Graff next week. I have only brewed one other batch of anything before and it was using wine yeast. I am wondering if it is ok to use my 5gal carboy with this recipe and the nottingham yeast. Just want to make sure it won't foam up a lot and overflow.

__________________
TrendyGuy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2009, 06:21 PM   #48
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rico567's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central IL
Posts: 3,018
Liked 83 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendyGuy View Post
I am going to be trying to make some Graff next week. I have only brewed one other batch of anything before and it was using wine yeast. I am wondering if it is ok to use my 5gal carboy with this recipe and the nottingham yeast. Just want to make sure it won't foam up a lot and overflow.
I've currently got 2.5 gal. fermenting very vigorously in a 3.5 gal plastic bucket, also using Nottingham. I can see the line of liquid inside, and it isn't any higher than it was when I started. I think you're fairly safe, as long as you keep a decent amount of headspace in your fermenter.
__________________

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

rico567 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2009, 03:50 PM   #49
TrendyGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 22
Default

Last night was my first attempt at making Graff, as well as my first time doing any type of boiling for brewing. I was following the directions exactly until I mistakenly put the full 1oz bag of Saaz hops into the pot. As soon as the last hop hit the pot I knew I just screwed up big time. I went ahead though and followed through with it and put it in my carboy and pitched the yeast. As of this morning it has already started bubbling along.

I was wondering if anyone can give me some warning how this is going to taste after 2 weeks fermenting and 3 weeks bottling? Would it help to let it sit in the bottles for a longer period of time?

__________________
TrendyGuy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2009, 06:03 PM   #50
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AZ_IPA's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Cold Part of AZ
Posts: 43,958
Liked 6350 Times on 5497 Posts
Likes Given: 859

Default

you'll be okay - it will be a little hoppy, but it should still taste good.

After all, better 1 oz of Saaz, than say Warrior or Nugget!

__________________
AZ_IPA is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brewing Graff YouTube Instructional msheridan69 Cider Forum 27 11-03-2009 11:23 PM
Web 2.0 Brewing News Site - Your thoughts? BeerSmith General Beer Discussion 4 03-30-2008 06:50 AM
some thoughts on brewing sheephrdr Extract Brewing 2 07-07-2006 04:59 AM
Thoughts on homebrewing vs commercial brewing cweston General Beer Discussion 18 04-08-2006 06:17 PM
First brewing attempt in years and my recipe... thoughts? Windaria Cider Forum 11 10-19-2005 03:59 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS