*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > My first cider tastes like poo poo

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
sonofgrok
n00basaurus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 117

I like drier drinks which is why I didn't back sweeten it. It really doesn't have the rocket fuel taste of fusel alcohols you get with really high abv drinks but it does taste like the alcohol portion needs to mello wand like the apple got a little too destroyed in the ferment because it tastes watered down (on the apple side, not the alcohol side). I'll try a pint again next week to see if it has matured and then another in another week etc until its tasty or gone.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 04:55 AM   #12
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgrok
I like drier drinks which is why I didn't back sweeten it. It really doesn't have the rocket fuel taste of fusel alcohols you get with really high abv drinks but it does taste like the alcohol portion needs to mello wand like the apple got a little too destroyed in the ferment because it tastes watered down (on the apple side, not the alcohol side). I'll try a pint again next week to see if it has matured and then another in another week etc until its tasty or gone.
You could try adding some acid blend... low-acid juices definitely make a lifeless cider.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:42 PM   #13
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

It has gotten better over the last week or so. Its drinkable now. Don't think it will get much better though. Tastes like the acid profile may be off.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." ~Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #14
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
The honey used with champagne yeast definitely contributed to this, especially if it was cheap/grocery store honey. The champagne yeast would have converted it entirely into alcohol, giving a harsher alcohol taste while simultaneously watering down the cider.
+1 for this. I try to be careful not to use more than a pound of honey or so in my cysers, if that much. More than that I find, even if it's something really nice, just dries it out and reduces the apple-ness of the cider. Others put all kinds of stuff in their cider, but I'm kind of a purist.

As to the champagne yeast, I find that when you use that stuff (and I do often) it's best to let it sit for at least a month, but that it will improve and will reduce in harshness over time...to me my ciders are best at about six months after fermentation starts, if I can make any of them last that long!
For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;

Old 12-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #15
sonofgrok
n00basaurus

Recipes 

Culprit identified. It was the honey. I made a 1 gallon batch with a few blueberries at the same time with no honey and it is much much better.

I think the juice sucked too though. I made a 6 gallon today with no honey and some cheaper juice that actually looked, tasted, and smelled better than the more expensive I used before.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #16
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgrok View Post
Culprit identified. It was the honey. I made a 1 gallon batch with a few blueberries at the same time with no honey and it is much much better.

I think the juice sucked too though. I made a 6 gallon today with no honey and some cheaper juice that actually looked, tasted, and smelled better than the more expensive I used before.
I also think that the juice quality has a HUGE impact on what your cider tastes like. I've attempted several batches of cider or apfelwein with store-bought cider or juice, and I'm always very disappointed with the results. There is no substitute for really good, fresh apple cider when you're making hard cider, IMO. Now I only use the good stuff from the orchard, and I've never been disappointed.
For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;

Old 12-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #17
Vox
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofgrok View Post

I don't. In fact... I am so awesome I don't even know what that means It was Sprouts fresh pressed unflitered cider. No preservatives or anything.
This is my first cider. I got burned out on brewing beers while waiting for meads and wines to age.

My thoughts exactly. I think I may try another batch with straight juice (no added sugar) and Montrachet yeast. I am willing to bet its more drinkable earlier. I will probably just sit on these bottles for a while.
I recommend an ale yeast like Nottingham or S-04 as they yield a sweeter, though lower abv, which is better when drinking it soon after bottling. Montrachet and champagne yeast are more like jet fuel until about 4 to 6 months. I also use treetop for everything, except one three gallon batch of blackberry cider I experimented with, and have made some good stuff. I can't warrant spending 7.00 a gallon at Sprouts for organic fresh cider, when treetop is 5.00 a gallon especially when making so many batches lol. I need to research, but I assume I could only get fresh local cider during Apple season which I think is in May.

Quick Reply