Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > My first cider, question on secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
Medicbrewer16675
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My first cider, question on secondary

Hi there all
This is my first time brewing anything and went with a cider, so sorry if I don't have all my terms correct. I started off with my primary with 5 gallons for about 10 days and then racked to my secondary (in which I have 5 1 gallon jugs to try different flavours) when siphoning it over to my secondary containers (I used a siphon with a filter) I was trying to be careful not to put any of the left over yeast into the new bottles, however after a few days I've noticed that the bottom of all my jugs have a layer of something at the bottom and a very fine layer of something at the top as well. My airlocks haven't been bubbling. Is this normal, or should I try to put them in new containers before I get off-putting tastes?

Thanks!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
hallerobin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've never siphoned with a filter before... my guess is that some of the yeast snuck through and is still going to town, but I guess it depends on what kind of filter you are using.

Finished: Tailwagger Cider, Sweet Ruby Cyser
On deck more Tailwagger; Caramel Apple cider

Old 11-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
UncleBilly88
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The Yeast will survive!
Yes that is most likely a new yeast cake forming. If you are trying to avoid any future fermentation then racking isn't the way to go. The yeast will continue as long as there is sugar or not at the ABV limit. Yeast are like sperm, any chance they get to procreate they will, even if you aren't wanting it.

Quick Reply