New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > My first cider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 03:59 AM   #11
flyweed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Well. it's a little too late for this batch..but I think SNA's would have helped this recipe along quite a bit...adding nutrient at the 1/3 and 2/3's sugar breaks would have kept the ferment rolling along a bit better.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no expert by any means..but I have learned a TON about Staggered Nutrient additions already and am quickly realizing how beneficial they are to just about any mead recipe.

FWIW..just let it go until it clears and you'll know you are getting close to being finished.

Dan

On Tap: Blackberry Blonde Ale
On Tap: Apple/Cherry Hard Cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2009, 04:02 PM   #12
jharres
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks Dan. It may be too late for yeast nutrients, but would it be too late for yeast energizer?

My only fear in letting it go until it clears is that my second carboy will be in use for many months at this rate!

Old 01-18-2009, 05:29 PM   #13
Cydermon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharres View Post
I put together my first cider two nights ago.

Recipe:
4 1/2 Gallons of Tree Top Apple Juice
2 Cans Apple Juice concentrate (no preservatives or additives)
1 lb Dextrose (to help boost ABV and dry it out a tad)
WLP028 Edinburgh Ale yeast

The gravity reading after mixing and aerating, but before pitching was 1.065, so I'm guessing if it ferments out to around 1.000 it should be around 8-8.5 % ABV. Does this sound correct?

I pitched the yeast without a starter at around 72 F (which is within the range listed on the bottle). After about 6 hours it began fermenting (well, slight kreusen formed), after about 15 hours it was going really good required a blow off hose. This morning it's still going good. The temp (in the carboy, not ambient) has increased to about 74 F though. Generally with beer, I know this will impart "cidery" flavors, but I'm guessing it's not as much of a concern when fermenting cider. Is this accurate?

My plan is to leave it in the primary for a month (assuming the hydrometer readings are consistent), then bottle condition for 3-4 months.

Basically what I'm looking for is a bit of peer review and feedback to see if I'm on the right track, or if I've made some glaring mistakes.

Thanks!
Jacob
I used a recipe very close to this with the only difference being that I added 2 lbs of light brown sugar and a cup of fresh honey instead of 2 cans of concentrate. Started out at 1.065 as well but I used a champagne yeast, nutrient, and my primary conditions have temps sitting at 60-63F. A week and two days in and its seems my fermentation has started to slow.

I didn't realize folks kept their cider in the primary so long, but if this is the case, then I may just wait six weeks and rack into my final gallon containers to age and clear a bit.

Hope you keep this updated as I'm curious as to your results.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #14
Poobah58
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Meyer View Post
I am currently fermenting Ed Worts recipe. 4 days now. I usually keg my beers and don't bottle. i thought It would be great to bottle the cider. Is it easy right from the primary to the bottle/ do you have to add sugar to the batch or to the bottle to gain carbonation in the botttles? Do i keg it for a while then do the pain in the rear technique of bottling c02 carbonated cider? yes I have a rig to help with the C02 but it is still a pain in the rear. Pleaase teach a nooby bottler. I love kegging but want the portability of bottles with this stuff.

Oscar,
You should probably start your own thread on this one!

Quick Reply