*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > My first cider :)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2013, 11:22 PM   #1
Doctor-Ale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My first cider :)

so after spending years brewing in the 80's and 90's and a little about 7/8 yrs ago I decided it was time to brew again!
Have a buddy of mine get into ciders so I did a little research and dusted off the the brew pot and Carboy.
I really was just interested in getting something rolling so don't murder me with all the Papazian Proverbs

here she goes:
10 apples I picked in NE last visit ( live in denver) mashed in the Ninja
tossed in the propane kettle w/
2 cups organic sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup malt dextrose
1/2 gallon Britta H2o
1/4 tspoon of Pumpkin, Allspice and Nutmeg
light boil for 30 min.........

Then lowered heat & added 4 gal of Sprouts pure apple juice
stirred and heated for 45 min to 100F
finished with Australian Galaxy aroma hops
cooled to 75 and pitched wyeast liquid mead, cider and ale yeast .
($7.95) pricey but the brew guy said it was Great.

Fermentation noticed at approx 15 hrs. Not sure of what I/m looking for in a fermentation as i'v always done full grain. I have a good burp a little faster than every second and have a nice swirling going on in the 6 gallon CB.
Any thoughts ? Comments ? Even if they will Make Charlie Proud ........
Thanks! Stoked I'm back at it!!!!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2013, 01:31 AM   #2
Randzor
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Welcome back... One thing to note, Cider is simpler compared to beers. Also some like Wine yeasts, while others like beer yeasts... try them both.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Welcome back! Just as a first note unlike beer, cider does not typically need to be boiled. Boiling your cider will change the flavor to one of a more "cooked apples which for some folks is a good thing. I prefer not to cook my ciders first as the flavors are more tasty to me that way.

As was stated previously, both wine and beer yeast can be used for cider. I love both! Have fun!

:-)

Old 11-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
Doctor-Ale
Recipes 

ok thanks! I have been watching it closely for any change in fermentation. bubbles on the slow but just a hair ( about 1 every second plus ) also still have a nice swirling going on and holding at 67F........... any thoughts on the fermentation? I'm use to seeing high krausen but do cinders just stay fairly mellow?

Old 11-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor-Ale View Post
ok thanks! I have been watching it closely for any change in fermentation. bubbles on the slow but just a hair ( about 1 every second plus ) also still have a nice swirling going on and holding at 67F........... any thoughts on the fermentation? I'm use to seeing high krausen but do cinders just stay fairly mellow?
Yes, for the most part you will get hardly any krausen. I like fermenting in the low 60's if possible, but you take what you can. Sounds like a good ferment to me! :-)
Old 11-21-2013, 02:36 AM   #6
crazyportagee
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here are pics of mine at day 3 and day 4. Day 3 I had a little krausen and on day 4 it was gone but fermentation was really going strong!

image-2512564593.jpg

image-1072728347.jpg

Old 11-21-2013, 02:49 AM   #7
Randzor
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Looking good. Also most ciders can go from the primary to the bottle without an between.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
Doctor-Ale
Recipes 

Well, I stand corrected! after what I thought was slowing down period after a nice takeoff is now (it seems) just getting rolling! day 3.5 pics......

photo-1.jpg   photo-2.jpg  

Old 12-02-2013, 01:16 AM   #9
Doctor-Ale
Recipes 

My cider rages on at 14 days in the primary,,,,,pretty much still looks like pic 2 with a slower burp and less swirling going on in the jug. Thinking about racking to a secondary in the next few days and backsweeting w/ a fresh gallon of the same juice and a small quantity of fresh pear juice for an added twist. I'm wondering if I will have enough fermentation/sugars left over to bottle without adding PRIMING sugars or not?? Will 2nd for 10 days so What say you? Any comments appreciated! No sorry, I did not take ( rookie-tool maneuver I know) original SG as I could not find my meter. Will take secondary and final ; will post.......

Old 12-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #10
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor-Ale View Post
My cider rages on at 14 days in the primary,,,,,pretty much still looks like pic 2 with a slower burp and less swirling going on in the jug. Thinking about racking to a secondary in the next few days and backsweeting w/ a fresh gallon of the same juice and a small quantity of fresh pear juice for an added twist. I'm wondering if I will have enough fermentation/sugars left over to bottle without adding PRIMING sugars or not?? Will 2nd for 10 days so What say you? Any comments appreciated! No sorry, I did not take ( rookie-tool maneuver I know) original SG as I could not find my meter. Will take secondary and final ; will post.......
Its tough, but I would wait to do anytjing till you know how your fermentation finished up. I have been waiting for two more weeks than I expected on a ciderfor it to finish. I plan to add raspberries in secondary... but its decided its n ot ready for secondary yet. :-( They just do their own thing sometimes.

Let it finish. Taste it. Then make an informed decision as to what to tweak it with (if anything! ).

In the meantime... relax, wait, andhave a homebrew! :-)

Quick Reply