New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > My first batch of Ed Worts Apfelwein!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 11:23 PM   #1
ELittle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My first batch of Ed Worts Apfelwein!

So today my new 14 gallon fermenter arrived, so I figured what better way to break it in than with a 10 gallon batch of Apfelwein! I've never brewed before or made this, this is my first run.

It looks like my beginning gravity it 1.065, so hopefully this batch turns out awesome. I plan to make many more, I took a photo of the supplies to chronicle my first fermentation:

In a few weeks I'll post a follow up and we'll see how it turns out!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2009, 11:47 PM   #2
wreckinball9
Recipes 

are you fermenting in a dog food container?

You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning. - Homer S.

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:52 PM   #3
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Nice. You should be able to fit 12 gallons in there easily if you use Montrachet yeast.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:03 AM   #4
Limited Visibility
Recipes 

Thats awesome! I am making my first 5 gallons here in a couple of weeks... or maybe I just need to buy another carboy...

Old 01-14-2009, 12:56 AM   #5
ELittle
Recipes 

haha, its not a dog food container, its a 14 gallon Tuff-Tank beer/wine fermenter. Some kibble and bits might be a nice dry hop selection though.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:35 AM   #6
wreckinball9
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELittle View Post
haha, its not a dog food container, its a 14 gallon Tuff-Tank beer/wine fermenter. Some kibble and bits might be a nice dry hop selection though.
lol nice add some canned wet food to up the OG

You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning. - Homer S.

And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?- Homer S.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:55 PM   #7
ELittle
Recipes 

So, 2 days later and still no bubbling in the airlock. A buddy told me this could be because I only filled the tank with 10 gallons of liquid, and there is an extra 4 gallons of headspace thats empty, so hopefully it will start goin soon.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:30 AM   #8
ELittle
Recipes 

So its about 5 weeks later and I took a sample. The gravity is around 1.003 or so. The taste is kind of sweet and apple flavored and you can really taste the alcohol in it. Its delicious right now. I might give it another 2 or 3 weeks then bottle.

I used coopers ale yeast in this batch, so that might account for the not so dry taste, but I think its delicious.

Also, when I took a hydrometer reading right after pouring the sample I got a reading of 1.006. Then after it sat at room temp for 10 minutes or so the hydrometer floated way up and I got a reading of 1.030. Then 10 minutes later the hydrometer floated back down to about 1.003, anyone had that happen?

Old 02-16-2009, 03:44 AM   #9
lapaglia
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thats the CO2 in the cider coming out. It makes it float higher. Its why you should spin it or bump it a little to float the bubbles off so it reads correctly.

On Deck: 90 Shilling Clone

Old 02-28-2009, 11:32 PM   #10
ELittle
Recipes 

This question might have been answered somewhere else, but I cant find it. I'm almost ready to bottle my cider, and I want to carb it. Ive seen people say 1oz of corn sugar per gallon dissolved into water then added to the bottling bucket.

The only thing is I have my cider in a fermenter which has a valve on it for bottling. Can i dump the sugar water into the fermenter and stir it then bottle? Or should I prime each individual bottle? And if so, how much suger do I add to say a regular 12oz beer bottle? I dont have a seperate bottling bucket so im trying to do this using only the vessel its currently in. Thanks for any ideas!

Quick Reply