My DIY cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

he-brews

Reaction score
Lmao, this cracks me up because I had no idea there was a cider forum on here and I seem some stuff laying around the house today and made some! I took a gallon of apple juice 100% and 2 lbs of sugar and added two handful of raisins. Mixed it up real good and added red star( I think) bread yeast. Ill let u guys know how it turns out

Lmao, this cracks me up because I had no idea there was a cider forum on here and I seem some stuff laying around the house today and made some! I took a gallon of apple juice 100% and 2 lbs of sugar and added two handful of raisins. Mixed it up real good and added red star( I think) bread yeast. Ill let u guys know how it turns out

*wince*

Ok , well, great thoughts! Just remember that both beer yeast and wine yeast will work, so use them next time for a better final product! :)

Thanks I will! There's a dude on YouTube "craigtube" that made this recipe, it's been fermenting strong since Wednesday and its starting to smell great!

I am currently in the secondary stage from that "craigtube" recipe. Followed it perfectly and it is strong stuff. I made it with Lalvin EC-1118 so I think it finished dryer than I rally wanted. It fermented for 6 days then stopped abruptly. I transferred it and it is clearing nicely for a week. I think I'll transfer it once more and let it settle for another week and then bottle with a little dextrose for some carbonation. I have some red star bread yeast that I wanted to try and compare. I figure I wanted a little sugar left over. I look forward to hearing how yours turns out and we can compare!!

Ok man that sounds great! Not sure why William shrugs on the bread yeast, mine has been fermenting away since last Wednesday. Over a week now and it smells great. All the threads I have read about cider and bread yeast have been good overall comments, most say its equivalent to wine yeast so I'm not sure but I do know that it is still fermenting strong today.

Ok man that sounds great! Not sure why William shrugs on the bread yeast, mine has been fermenting away since last Wednesday. Over a week now and it smells great. All the threads I have read about cider and bread yeast have been good overall comments, most say its equivalent to wine yeast so I'm not sure but I do know that it is still fermenting strong today.

I admit first off that I've never used it.

Having said that, all the stories I've gotten about it is low ABV tolerance and a 'bready' taste left behind. That taste was what my 'shudder' was about! :)

Well I have taken a bit of a taste yesterday, I have been brewing beer since 07, I can honestly say that there is no bread aftertaste so far, ill keep u guys posted

The only consistently negative comment I've heard about bread yeast is that it flocculates for crap, you'll have a pretty little yeast cake on the bottom of the bottle and someone sneezes two rooms away and a big silty cloud of yeast stirs up, but I have read where one mead brewer used gelatin to decent effect keep the yeast a bit more compacted while he racked to secondary and bottling...that said I have two 1 gallon batches of Joe's Ancient Orange Mead that I just started one with bread yeast and one with 775 so I guess we'll all find out together

Same here! I have a question for you in the meantime. Are you going to bottle? If so are you going to pasteurize? Or I have also considered using potassium sorbate to finish the yeast. That would however eliminate the opportunity to carbonize the bottles. Just curious what your plans are in that department.

Honestly I hadn't made it that far, lol! Can u not cold crash and gelatinize this like u would beer? I'm not really sure. All the ingredients were pasteurized when bottled, we will have to ask someone else that question?

Honestly I hadn't made it that far, lol! Can u not cold crash and gelatinize this like u would beer? I'm not really sure. All the ingredients were pasteurized when bottled, we will have to ask someone else that question?

You could do either, your choice!

Sweet I think I'll just chill it first, get a little taste and go from there I probably won't pasteurize

Back