Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > My cider smells like rotten eggs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
rhinofarts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default My cider smells like rotten eggs

Hi,
I know this question has been asked here before. But I didn't feel I could get a complete answer from reading other people's questions.
Also most people just casually answered "It'll be fine...." etc... Giving no explaination on what to do.
I am brewing cider from a kit (BrewMaster 40 pint), and it has been bubbling away for much longer than I figured (14 days today)
A bubble comes through the airlock approx every minute and a half.
So I went to bottle it today, and when I lifted the lid I got a medium bad smell of rotten eggs (Sulpher), from the info I gathered reading other posts here, I decided on giving it a good stir (Sedemant and all), and I left the lid off for a while for some of the smell to leave before putting back on the airlock and heating belt and now I've left it to bubble away.
Was this the best approach?, will it just "Fix itself" now? What should I do from here on in?
Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks and Regards,

rhinofarts

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Fermentation can be a smelly beast. I've had a few beers, particularly wheat beers produce some horrid odors that don't make their way into the finished product.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Well the fact that you chose the name you did, should give you an indication if you've read any of the 10,000 rhino farts threads, that fermenting cider often does smell like sulfur. You should also know that it does indeed clear with time. B

It should also be an indication that if it smells like it, then it's not time to bottle it yet. You wouldn't really want to trap that in a bottle if you want it to clear.

I don't even think of touching my ciders for a minimum of 6 months.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
rhinofarts
Recipes 

HAHA Revvy nice post. Yes I have read many Rhino Fart threads. But as I said everyone just replied "Ya it's fine..." I wanna know what to do here, this is a cider emergency for me here.

"I don't even think of touching my ciders for a minimum of 6 months"

Your not talking about me leaving it in the fermenter for 6 months? This is a kit cider? You think after a good stirring, smell should go? Or just go with a bit of time anyway?

Thank you for your reply!

Last edited by rhinofarts; 03-11-2012 at 09:30 PM.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Yes, I'm talking about leaving it in the fermenter for 6 months, kit or no kit....

And to get rid of the sulfur you.....

....Wait for it to go away. It's a natural part of the process, and if you can still smell it, it means fermentation and or conditioning are still going on...so bottling at this point is not what you want to do.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
rhinofarts
Recipes 

I think thats a bit extreme. 6 months is a long time for person who doesnt live forever

Old 03-12-2012, 04:04 AM   #7
Seabee John
Swing the BIG hammer

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinofarts View Post
I think thats a bit extreme. 6 months is a long time for person who doesnt live forever
It's all about perspective...

Use that 6 months to brew as many batches of cider or beer or wine as you can. Pick a 10-20 day recipe if you want instant gratification, but the same day you brew that fast beer, brew a couple of medium length beers... stage the batches so they get finished in a staggered fashion. That way, you always have something that is getting close to done. Waiting sucks... brew more and it's less painful. I've got a braggot sitting in the fridge that I brewed in the fall of 2009... take a taste every now and then... figure it's just about ready for oak... maybe next year. then we'll bottle and let it mellow for a year or three... see, 6 months isn't much time at all - if you've got other brews to play with.

BTW, my newest apfelwein is just turning 3 this june.
Mom was right. Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Where's my beer. I know I left it around here somewhere.....
Kegged/Drinking:Nihilistic Integrity - Black IPA, #1 BIAB pale ale, Bells Two Hearted - yes a keg of the real stuff
Kegged/Conditioning:Wally N Seans Braggot, Emerald Eyes - Irish Red, Atomic Tsunami - brown
Primary:empty

Old 03-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #8
rhinofarts
Recipes 

I get your point. I have 2 fermenters on the go always now, and I am bottling away, so things can mature. I would have concerns about leaving something in an open fermenter for 6 months tho, whatever about it being kegged or bottled.

Anyway, my Rhino Farts smell is gone, I left it sit for several days after the smell had left and now I have bottled my none-Rhino Ass cider.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:41 PM   #9
ModlrMike
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You might be experiencing a lack of nutrients in your must. Yeast under stress produces more SO2 than yeast that is well nourished. I've read that copper helps to remove some of the odour and flavour by turning the SO2 in solution into copper sulfate. Perhaps a copper racking cane might be helpful later.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:21 AM   #10
DirtyD69
Recipes 

Mine still smells like farts after month and a half

Quick Reply