My cider/mead experiment was a success!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The13th

Reaction score
This is a cyser which was started back in December and the fermentation ended in January. I made 3 gallons of it and just opened the final gallon about 2 weeks ago. I invited a friend over to drink it with me. Both him and my wife (and me too!) really liked it. My friend got drunk after 1.5 glasses and I later found out that he was raving about it to his friends. Based on that positive reaction, I figured I should share it here.
The cider portion was taken from recipes I found here and the mead portion was taken from a book I have on homebrewing.

Ingredients
2 gallons of apple cider (I had 2 one-gallon jugs of cider purchased from a farm stand)
3 lbs of clover honey
1 gallon of tap water
1.5 cups of white sugar
1 pack of Lalvin D47 yeast

Procedure
1) Put 0.5 gallon of water in a pot, add all of the honey, mix it together.
2) Heat the honey water at 140 degrees F for 20 minutes. When I did this, the heat shot up to 190 after 10 minutes, so I shut off the heat.
3) Pour 0.5 gallon of apple cider into the carboy.
4) Add half of the sugar into the remaining cider, shake the jug to mix it together, and then pour into the carboy.
5) Repeat steps 3 and 4 with the second jug of cider and remaining sugar.
6) When the honey water is at room temperature, pour into a one gallon container and then add enough water until you have a full gallon.
7) Shake the container of honey water for 10 minutes. Then pour half of it into the carboy.
8) Pitch the yeast.
9) Pour the rest of the honey water into the carboy and set the stopper/airlock.

Fermentation appeared to stop after about a month and I moved it into growlers. I was a bit impatient in terms of waiting before drinking and the glasses I had in January tasted pretty good. However, the gallon which sat untouched for 9 months tasted even better.

Here's a photo I took of the carboy the night I made it.
A9W-EbPCAAAeiI9.jpg:large

That looks and sounds delicious. I love cysers, even more when they are at least a year old.

Congrats! Thanks for sharing. I've never made cyser. T he wait was worthwhile hmm?

Worth it. It was my first attempt at a mead and I read that you should wait at least 6 months after fermentation. What I drank at 9 months was definitely better than what I drank before the 6 month mark.

That looks and sounds delicious. I love cysers, even more when they are at least a year old.

I bet that would taste really good, but I'm afraid I may be too impatient for that.

Congratulations! I had to dump a 6 gallon batch of cyser a few weeks ago that I had started last summer. At some point, someone (girlfriend, dog, cat, or mystery animal) knocked the airlock off my carboy. I had no idea how long it was without the airlock on. I threw in a campden tablet, cleaned and sanitized the airlock and out it back on aftef I did a taste test. It was a very floral, appley, somewhat vinegary taste at that point... the taste was way off from what it was at the last time I taste tested it.

I let it sit for a few more months and it got worse, much worse. So a few weeks ago I let the brewing bug bite me again and checked on my lime wine and my cyser. The lime wine is nowhere near as tart as it used to be but the cyser was flat out awful! I begrudgingly dumped it down the drain... that was a first for me.

Sounds yummy!
Did you take hydrometer readings? I'd love to know what they are, both for ABV and final sugar purposes. Might try a bottle carbed version!

Congratulations! I had to dump a 6 gallon batch of cyser a few weeks ago that I had started last summer. At some point, someone (girlfriend, dog, cat, or mystery animal) knocked the airlock off my carboy. I had no idea how long it was without the airlock on. I threw in a campden tablet, cleaned and sanitized the airlock and out it back on aftef I did a taste test. It was a very floral, appley, somewhat vinegary taste at that point... the taste was way off from what it was at the last time I taste tested it.

I let it sit for a few more months and it got worse, much worse. So a few weeks ago I let the brewing bug bite me again and checked on my lime wine and my cyser. The lime wine is nowhere near as tart as it used to be but the cyser was flat out awful! I begrudgingly dumped it down the drain... that was a first for me.

That's awful. I'm sorry for your loss. It must be especially frustrating considering all the time that went into it.

Sounds yummy!
Did you take hydrometer readings? I'd love to know what they are, both for ABV and final sugar purposes. Might try a bottle carbed version!

I did, although I'm fairly new to this so I'm not sure if I'm using my hydrometer correctly or not. So take this with a grain of salt, but my original reading was 1.075 and the final reading was 1.000.

I did, although I'm fairly new to this so I'm not sure if I'm using my hydrometer correctly or not. So take this with a grain of salt, but my original reading was 1.075 and the final reading was 1.000.

So, that's very roughly 9.5% ABV, depending on your temperature. Sounds about right for a cyser. Well done! I might give your recipe a shot this weekend. :mug:

Next batch, dont add sugar and water, just use cider and honey, it will be much better if you can believe that since you already have a good luck on your first batch. Its apple squeezing time so you should be able to find some more of that good cider at your farm market. WVMJ

Next batch, dont add sugar and water, just use cider and honey, it will be much better if you can believe that since you already have a good luck on your first batch. Its apple squeezing time so you should be able to find some more of that good cider at your farm market. WVMJ

I can understand not using water, but what would be the benefit of omitting sugar? Besides boosting the alcohol content, wouldn't sugar sweeten the taste?

I can understand not using water, but what would be the benefit of omitting sugar? Besides boosting the alcohol content, wouldn't sugar sweeten the taste?

Sugar will increase your abv, but not add to the flavor of your cider. Using a concentrate or adding honey gives you that abv boost, but also richens (did I just make up a word?) the flavors. Its a good thing to have choices as to what you can do with your cider!

Sugar will increase your abv, but not add to the flavor of your cider. Using a concentrate or adding honey gives you that abv boost, but also richens (did I just make up a word?) the flavors. Its a good thing to have choices as to what you can do with your cider!

Thanks. Think I know what I'm doing with my next cider...

Back