Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Montrachet yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
Firstnten
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Montrachet yeast

going to start my first batch of cider using Montrachet over Champ. Anyone want to give an opinion on the difference in taste?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #2
Dos_Locos_Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think the Montrachet would be a modest improvement. Champagne yeast is very dry and very neutral. For a cider, I think the Montrachet would give you something more nuanced. I find the dryness with Champagne yeast to be a little austere with cider or fruit wines. The differences are subtle, though.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
ScottM
Recipes 

I just racked my first cider off the yeast, and tasted some in the process. This was with the Montrachet, and I did find the flavor very pleasent. Now this is very young, but I would have been happy to drink more!

Old 04-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
Firstnten
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I haven't had any problems using champ yeast. And I have consumed whole batches under three months old. Edworts recipe uses motrachet and everyone loves Edwort so I figured I would see how big the difference is.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:21 PM   #5
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstnten View Post
going to start my first batch of cider using Montrachet over Champ. Anyone want to give an opinion on the difference in taste?

My opinion is don't use montrachet. Wine yeast in general for ciders don't taste good or have any body for my tastes.

Try some safale-05 or some nottingham.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:32 PM   #6
PAC762
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I prefer Cote de Blanc or EC-1118 over Montrachet.

Montrachet isn't bad by any means, though.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:16 AM   #7
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

for ciders, I prefer english ale yeasts, s-04 does wonderfully, and I just opened up a batch I did with the WLP023 burton ale yeast that turned out fantastic.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 04-15-2009, 04:50 AM   #8
potatoe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon O View Post
My opinion is don't use montrachet. Wine yeast in general for ciders don't taste good or have any body for my tastes.

Try some safale-05 or some nottingham.
I think that only makes sense if your making a particular cider. I like my cider big, very dry, and usually dont start opening bottles until they are a few years old. In that case, Montrachet is my go-to.

If my ABV were 4-6%, and I was looking for something with residual sugar that I could start drinking in a few months, than nottingham would be a fine choice.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:47 AM   #9
Firstnten
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatoe View Post
I think that only makes sense if your making a particular cider. I like my cider big, very dry, and usually dont start opening bottles until they are a few years old. In that case, Montrachet is my go-to.

If my ABV were 4-6%, and I was looking for something with residual sugar that I could start drinking in a few months, than nottingham would be a fine choice.
A few years? I was thinking of using WL english cider yeast with no added sugar next. Then maybe keggin it.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:30 PM   #10
Nukesquad
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstnten View Post
A few years? I was thinking of using WL english cider yeast with no added sugar next. Then maybe keggin it.
Man, I have a hard time keeping my cider for a couple of months. I used WLP775 on my most recent cider, but not in isolation. It worked well, taking my cider down to 0.994. However with this particular recipe, I was adding another load of fermentables into the secondary, potentially pushing WLP775 past it's alcohol tolerance. So I chose to add EC-1118, which made it take off again (went back down to 0.996...13.89%ABV). I'm interested in how WLP775 will take with juice alone.

Quick Reply