The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Minimizing the lees when bottle conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
LeBreton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Minimizing the lees when bottle conditioning

After 10 days of bottle conditioning my most recent batch is nicely carbed and tastes great. Pasteurized last night and noticed that some of the bottles have a ton of lees in the bottom, half an inch in some cases, while the rest are normal.

Started with pectic enzyme, racked twice during fermentation and let clear in a secondary for quite some time before bottling. Now I did prime with both dextrose (5oz/5 gallon batch) and a half a can of AJC and suspect the AJC may have contributed to added sediment but my last batch was done only with AJC and came out with 'normal' levels of lees in the bottle.

I also re-inoculated with a starter of 2.5g of yeast to kick off the secondary fermentation so that probably didn't help, but doesn't explain the large amount of sediment in the bottle.

Thought?
Care to share any tips for minimizing lees?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 04:34 AM   #2
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

keg... and then fill your bottles form keg.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
truckjohn
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The easiest thing to do is to let them sit a while for the lees to compact... It takes 3+ months for the lees to really pack down well...

So... What you can do is to....
Let them sit in a cool place where they can compact undisturbed.
Pour slowly and carefully - It's not a Weiss... don't cry about that last 1 tablespoon of cider and muck in the bottom of the bottle....

The last thing is to pick yeasts that run more towards the "Compact lees" end of the spectrum rather than the ones that produce fluffy lees that swirl back up into solution whenever you look at the bottles...

Thanks

Old 01-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
Pickled_Pepper
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I agree that if you are worried about cloudy cider or sediment in your bottles, it's best to use a yeast that will flocculate well. I disagree that you need to let it sit for 3 months on the lees. (but that's just my opinion)

I usually rack to secondary around 2 weeks and my nottingham ale yeast leaves what looks like pudding on the bottom. It takes a lot to really disturb it. Then in the secondary, I get only a dusting in the bottom. To get it even more clear, you could always rack it again. That said, my impression so far is that the more you rack it, it takes a LOT longer to carb it since there aren't as many yeast cells in suspension. I still get a little dusting in each bottle from the priming sugar.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
kbartoy
Recipes 

my cider with nottingham yeast has created a "cloud" of lees on the bottom after bottle conditioning. it floats and looks like a mother and i was worried that i was going to have vinegar. but i have good cider. the first pint out of the bottle is clear and the second gets the chunky. any ideas on what might have gone wrong? may it be from pulling too many lees from the primary?

Old 06-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
millsbrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Would cold crashing before bottling help?

On Tap: Belgian Dubbel, Cinco De Spice-o, and Dry Cider
Primary: West Coast IPA

Quick Reply