Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Maturing high gravity cider?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2005, 06:39 AM   #1
purcell429
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Maturing high gravity cider?

I just took a batch of high gravity (~15% alcohol) cider out of the primary and had a few questions about maturing the cider. First, would there be any disadvantages to leaving it in the secondary for a few months as opposed to bottling it right away? and what temperature should i let it mature at? any other tips or tricks i should know? I searched the forums for this information and was unable to find it. Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2005, 10:33 AM   #2
usmcruz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by purcell429
I just took a batch of high gravity (~15% alcohol) cider out of the primary and had a few questions about maturing the cider. First, would there be any disadvantages to leaving it in the secondary for a few months as opposed to bottling it right away? and what temperature should i let it mature at? any other tips or tricks i should know? I searched the forums for this information and was unable to find it. Thanks in advance!
Its just fine to let it age in the secondary. It will probably clear itself if it's still cloudy. Room temperature is good, and i mean 68 to 75 degrees. Traditionally cider was matured in oak barrels to mellow out the flavors. I recommend using oak cubes not chips because oak in its cubed form take about 3 to 6 months for the extraction of the flavor from the oak. The chips take about a week or two to do the same thing. The oak will give it a nice touch, and you can get it at any homebrew store or online. Anymore questions just ask.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply