Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Massive Strength Hard Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #51
blackwater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusch View Post
Based on Kauai's estmiated OG for that,

(1.084-.998)/.0075 = 11.4666667

So 11.5% If those numbers are accurate, I wouldn't be adding any more sugar to that, unless you stabilize and are adding sugar to sweeten it. Because that is certainly edging the line between cider and wine already.
Thanks for the equation! So whats the best way to make this pleasing to drink?
Leave it in the barrel to mature for 3 months? Add sugar to sweeten it? rack it in something else?

You guys rock!!
Old 01-16-2009, 05:34 PM   #52
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Brewing on that scale and in barrels is way out of my league, so I have no experience. But personally I like dry ciders. So I would let it sit for a few months at least. But you have to decide how you are going to let it finish, dry, semi-sweet, sweet, still or carbonated?

I do wonder how the barrel brewing process goes for cider. Let it age in the barrel, and then rack to new carboys or do you bottle straight from the barrel? How do you judge clarity of the whole batch if you can only see your samples. I leave these questions to be answered by someone else. Also, sorry BrewinJack for the hijack (I hate bad jokes, so sorry for the jack-jack thing too)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #53
blackwater
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks everyone for the help and I'm sorry to have taken over the thread. I'm moving my questions over to here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/how-...4/#post1069245

Thanks again and please let me know how the Power house cider comes out!!

Chris

Old 01-18-2010, 01:39 AM   #54
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hey guys thought i would update this 1 year after the fact.

The cider finnished at 19% abv, at that point you cant call it cider at all. I call it "I hate myself". After nearly 8 months in champagne bottles with the corks wired down I un corked the first one on new years eve with a couple of buddies. It still tasted young and was firey as hell. After half a glass each we corked it and put it back in my firdge, one of my buddies saying it reminded him of what his dad used to do with apple wine and a chest freezer. I have another 11 bottles of the stuff and 2.5 gallon in a glass carboy. I plan on forgetting about the bottles for a few years and maybe getting a oak barrel for the unbottled stuff. The color is amazing though, and it smells like dried appels and honey.

Overall the stuff was a sucess, but dont plan on drinking it anytime soon. Fermentation took over 6 months, and even 3/4 of a year later it will still singe your nose hairs. I would sugest Ed's apfelwin, if your looking to beat your liver into submission for past wrongs with fermented fruit bevrage of your choice.

Drink them in good health

"I wish i could give all my genrals a bottle of what he's drinking..." Honest Abe

"On the 8th day God created Bars"

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:
Operation "Black Gold" (High ABV) (5 Gal)

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Old 06-29-2010, 10:30 PM   #55
emr454
Recipes 

I'm resurrecting an old tread here, but I have a question for you. I'm thinking of doing something similar to your Black Gold recipe, but instead adding the fermentables in stages. Did you rack the cider/wine at all during or after fermentation?

Eric

Old 06-30-2010, 02:35 AM   #56
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emr454 View Post
I'm resurrecting an old tread here, but I have a question for you. I'm thinking of doing something similar to your Black Gold recipe, but instead adding the fermentables in stages. Did you rack the cider/wine at all during or after fermentation?

Eric
Damn, I am shocked you guys still read this. To answer your question. I never did rack. This idea was to add fermentable along with more liquid. Basically turing up the achohal slowly enough, and with more neutrients to yeast to live as long as possiable. So I started with a 5 gallon carboy and just kept going up from there. I ended with a final product of a little over 19% abv and therefore fail in my orginal. I opened a bottle on new years eve, roughly one year after starting the process. It was so firey I actully drank I actully drank it like whiskey. It was lightly carbonated and tasted mroe of achohal and honey than apples. If you want cider then i would sugest another way of doing this. The fermentation took over 6 months and required alot of attention. The end product is a beautieful golden caramel color. Heavy and aromatic. Great talking point, and if gets you snockered quick. In the end I had 12 champagne bottles filled. I still have 11. If I had a paid memebership i would post a picture. Like I said its a fun project, and a great conversation piece. Also teaches you alot about fruit and complex sugar fermentation. For a brew you will share with friends and family, that will toate your skill and might... not so much.

"I wish i could give all my genrals a bottle of what he's drinking..." Honest Abe

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Old 06-30-2010, 05:13 AM   #57
KrisPaulk77
Recipes 

+1 for the thread resurrection. I read this thread a few weeks ago and I plan on attempting a batch of this monster as well. I planned on starting with a smaller gravity cider and step it up incrementally and take the yeast as far as they will go. I don't mind investing time into a project. I've got several meads that, by the time they are ready to drink will have over a year each invested in them.
This thread is a representation of why I love homebrewing so much. You get to experiment and flex your creative muscles. Cheers BrewinJack... wish us all luck.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:25 AM   #58
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Cheers mate, and good luck... post back let me know how it goes.

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Old 11-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #59
notjustgc
Recipes 

I'd be really interested to hear about any progress on this batch this coming new years. Cider is such an enigmatic beast and you've got one of the more interesting experiments going here.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #60
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustgc View Post
I'd be really interested to hear about any progress on this batch this coming new years. Cider is such an enigmatic beast and you've got one of the more interesting experiments going here.
Its has been in the bottle for over a year now, haven't opened it since last new years. Its clear as a bell and has a beautiful caramel color and smells amazing. Last year it was massively fiery with the ABV. If i had half a mind I would run it though a pot still and make apple mead brandy. I haven't started another experiment like this, I have gone toward the more traditional brewing of beer and cider. I have malted my own grain for my own beer, as well as using fresh picked dried hop cones. Its just so much cheaper, although apple juice was down around 3$ a gallon this year, and honey was down in price this season too. I am thinking about some simple old fashioned Irish mead as a winter project, as well as a lager beer as usual for the winter brewing season. Not gonna break my limit this year.

Cheers all

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Quick Reply