Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Massive Strength Hard Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2009, 12:16 PM   #41
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 715 Times on 501 Posts
Likes Given: 1790

Jack: I'm curious as to how fermentation is effecting the flavour profile of the tea in this recipe. I've been contemplating using tea(s) in a couple recipes, but haven't seen any real info on the outcome of others yet. Also, I've used both K1-V1116 & EC-1118 yeasts in high grav. musts with success; I have a cyser aging right now with an ABV of 18.75%. The residual sugars really help to counter the alcohol burn. Regards, GF.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #42
blackwater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapaglia View Post
50 lbs of sugar in 55 gallons of liquid will give you a OG of less than 1.045. That should finish out pretty quickly. When you get your Hydrometer take a reading and let us know what it is at.
Was it water or Juice?
Fresh Pressed apples from the orchard.
Off to the brew shop today to buy whatever you think I might need.
Please advise. Sorry to high jack your thread Jack.

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited by blackwater; 01-15-2009 at 03:46 PM.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #43
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckinball9 View Post
how do you figure? thats almost a pound of sugar per gallon. i would say it would be closer to 1.80
I calculate 1.084, assuming 55 gal of cider at 1.045.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:24 PM   #44
blackwater
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauai_Kahuna View Post
I calculate 1.084, assuming 55 gal of cider at 1.045.
The guy at the shop was guessing a reading for today at 1.001?
Not sure but I bought the Hydrometer and some stabilizer and will post my results in a couple hours. He said to stop fiddling with it and leave it alone until June when it will taste like apple juice.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:19 PM   #45
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapaglia View Post
50 lbs of sugar in 55 gallons of liquid will give you a OG of less than 1.045. That should finish out pretty quickly. When you get your Hydrometer take a reading and let us know what it is at.
Was it water or Juice?
You forgot to add the apple juice. Depending on the juice it should be in the 1.080s. Still modest for a wine yeast and should finish in a couple weeks or so. FG will probably be <0.998 in less than a month.

Craig

Old 01-16-2009, 02:23 AM   #46
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio View Post
Jack: I'm curious as to how fermentation is effecting the flavour profile of the tea in this recipe. I've been contemplating using tea(s) in a couple recipes, but haven't seen any real info on the outcome of others yet. Also, I've used both K1-V1116 & EC-1118 yeasts in high grav. musts with success; I have a cyser aging right now with an ABV of 18.75%. The residual sugars really help to counter the alcohol burn. Regards, GF.
GF, well sorry it took so long to get back to you i only check this every now and them... I used the tea for reason of nutrients and i was hopeing to get that "crisp" taste that lipton claims there tea has... I havent even tasted it, its fermenting in a five gallon glass carboy right now... I am guessing CO2 scrubbed anything out a long time ago... when i went to glass i poured in a gallon of organic apple juice which had about a pound or so of borwn sugar desolved in it... next is to get it in the 7 gallon carboy and take the gravity back up from where it bottoms out right back up to 1.030 with dextrose or some 100% fermentable sugar which wont overtax the yeast... I am thinking that a gallon of water with a moderate ammont of honey might do it to... As it is i went from 1.128 down to right around 1.000 then transfered to glass and added less a gallon of 1.070 apple juice with brown sugar and it shot right up to about 1.030 in total after i let it sit for a little bit and fermentation was going nuts again in less then 6 hours...

so

1.128 down to 1.000

Back up to 1.030 then i hope back down to 1.000 or less

After that i might take it back up to 1.040 again and let it go down again

If i do my math righ that should be around 19.5% achohal and it should be nice and firey

It will need to age for a long long while...

Cheers

"I wish i could give all my genrals a bottle of what he's drinking..." Honest Abe

"On the 8th day God created Bars"

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:
Operation "Black Gold" (High ABV) (5 Gal)

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Old 01-16-2009, 02:27 AM   #47
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwater View Post
Fresh Pressed apples from the orchard.
Off to the brew shop today to buy whatever you think I might need.
Please advise. Sorry to high jack your thread Jack.

Thanks,

Chris
Its alright mate, i like to know whats going on and im not useing it alot so sombody should, cheers

Your gonna need that hydrometer... a testing vial... fifty pounds of sugar must have cost you a fortune... and thats alot of cider... tell us what your reading is then decided weather or not you need to keep going... are you trying to hit high ABV??? if you are then you need to check your SG and liekly if its near done then youll need to do what you did the first time again. If you just want 8 or 9% then your already pretty good... if your interested in high ABV then you might heat up some honey (about a gallon, or maybe 2 which will cost you big money as well 2gal = 24lbs) until its like really thin syrup and pour it in... it will ferment slower but the higer SG will yield better, but also change your final taste as well... if your looking for Apfelwein or cider then your on the right track as you are... another 50lbs of sugar should get you from maybe 7-9% (where you are now if your done) up to maybe 12-14%... which is quite high.... this al depends on what your first yeast was

Cheers

"I wish i could give all my genrals a bottle of what he's drinking..." Honest Abe

"On the 8th day God created Bars"

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:
Operation "Black Gold" (High ABV) (5 Gal)

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Last edited by BrewinJack; 01-16-2009 at 02:37 AM.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:45 AM   #48
blackwater
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewinJack View Post
Its alright mate, i like to know whats going on and im not useing it alot so sombody should, cheers

Your gonna need that hydrometer... a testing vial... fifty pounds of sugar must have cost you a fortune... and thats alot of cider... tell us what your reading is then decided weather or not you need to keep going... are you trying to hit high ABV??? if you are then you need to check your SG and liekly if its near done then youll need to do what you did the first time again. If you just want 8 or 9% then your already pretty good... if your interested in high ABV then you might heat up some honey (about a gallon, or maybe 2 which will cost you big money as well 2gal = 24lbs) until its like really thin syrup and pour it in... it will ferment slower but the higer SG will yield better, but also change your final taste as well... if your looking for Apfelwein or cider then your on the right track as you are... another 50lbs of sugar should get you from maybe 7-9% (where you are now if your done) up to maybe 12-14%... which is quite high.... this al depends on what your first yeast was

Cheers
Alright I did my research.
From the shop guy my original cider reading should have been between 1.060 and 1.075. I then added 50 lbs of white sugar ( amazingly it cost me $12 at Sam's Club). My reading today is 0.998, the top number on the hydrometer. I must say that the stuff is amazingly clear and tastes very strong alcohol wise. It doesn't taste very "nice" in terms of sweetness. It's very dry with a bite. Maybe the honey idea would sweeten it. The brew store guy says that I'm probably around 17% but I don't know. It tasted like it was high in content but I'm not sure how to do the conversion from O.G. until now.
I think I'll leave it in the barrel until June and hope for a better taste from the charred white oak barrel.

Thanks all,

Chris

Old 01-16-2009, 01:48 PM   #49
blackwater
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi,

I took another sample and the reading was the same. I'm still very unclear about the equation. Can someone elaborate for me what my reading probably would have been after I added the sugar to the cider and then what the math is if the reading now is 0.998? and what the ABV is now?

Thanks again,

Chris

Old 01-16-2009, 02:48 PM   #50
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Based on Kauai's estmiated OG for that,

(1.084-.998)/.0075 = 11.4666667

So 11.5% If those numbers are accurate, I wouldn't be adding any more sugar to that, unless you stabilize and are adding sugar to sweeten it. Because that is certainly edging the line between cider and wine already.

Quick Reply