Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Massive Strength Hard Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2008, 01:51 AM   #21
BrewinJack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

the OG was high, quite high... i would have to look it up for you now... hold up...ok OG was 1.82 if im reading the hydrometer right... which i doubt i am because i have never seen a SG that high... maybe 1.082... my hydrometer is rather new to me, i used to have one with just three little lines on it... one was blue for too high... one was green for bottle, and one was red and it was in the middle of the too and it stood for prime SG... it was a distillers wort hydrometer, and i used it to make regular hard cider... get the SG on the red line and then wait until it reached the green line and it was normally around 8 percent... i am betting its too high as well but all i can do is hope. I will keep you posted

This isnt a want for rocket fule... if i wanted rocket fule i would drink kerosean or i would make a still and distill regular hard cider into apple brandy... no i am doing this to see if its possiable, the story i was told was somthing close to a old wives tale, or a myth out of brewing history... you know what i mean the stories that start with "My Grand Pappie was a brewer back during prohibition and he found out how to make sugar into pure gold, and heres how..." If it doesnt start i will cut it down into 3 or 4 more fermenters and call the myth busted... think of this as the Brewing Myth-Busters, it proves that you cant piss into a fermenter pour in some sugar and yeast and get ****ing tasters choice... it also makes a great mix for starting about 20 gallons of top knotch hard cider if it doesnt work... also i would like a decent high proof hard cider, can you imagin... apple shnapps is about 35proof and its a distilled product, if you can hit 18-21% in a hard cider then youve topped a distilled liquor and the stuff is between 36-42 proof, if it taste good... that is a tribute to the brewers eginuity and ability, then once and for all we have proven that hard liquor is not the only option... but we have also made a brew with violates BATFA's rule on home brew which puts the cap of a brewed bevrage ABV at 20%.... To put egg on the face of BAFTA would be worth the trouble, and maybe they will rasie the content... it will prove once and for all that it isnt what you drink that makes you who you are, but what you brew...

damn i think i should have not had that third pint, i am starting to try be a brew pub politician

cheers

"I wish i could give all my genrals a bottle of what he's drinking..." Honest Abe

"On the 8th day God created Bars"

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:
Operation "Black Gold" (High ABV) (5 Gal)

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2008, 03:13 AM   #22
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

ok i did under pinch... i under pinched by a **** load... i am so under pinched i need a shovle and a fuggin funnel to get yeasted properly... ok heres an update... after i settled down and thought about it i went looking for highgravity brewing tips... apperntly for a 20 degree brew like the one i have constructed i would need 20 million yeast cells per ml to ever come close to starting fermentation and maintaining fermentation... the avrage dry yeast envalope has 30 - 50 billion yeast cells in it and thats is because it is expected that 40-50% are dead... so at 50% entraphy the singel yeast packet i put in yeilded only 3.9 million per ml... which is fine for your regular brew... but it will need to be multiplied by 5 times to ever see anything possiable useful... good thing i bought so much yeast the first time through... i will pinch it in tommrrow, as well as get more because in total i will need 7 packets to jump start this brew... i am also going to add more yeast neutrients because i am willing to bet whats already in there wont due at all at all... well i at least have a shot now, probably should have checked on this before i started eh?

Cheers

"I wish i could give all my genrals a bottle of what he's drinking..." Honest Abe

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Old 12-01-2008, 05:24 AM   #23
Pogo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hold up...hold up!!!!

Take another gravity reading before you do ANYTHING!!!!

I can't believe that the OG, with ALL of that sugar, would only be in the 1.080's.

If your first reading is accurate...then you are good to go!

I figured that it would be at least 1.120>.

I only add 2 pounds (4 heaping cups) of cane sugar to 6 gallons of apple juice, and end up with an OG of 1.073~, and an ABV of 9.8.

IF the OG is accurate, then one packet of yeast should do the job.

If the OG turns out to be WAY higher, then I doubt if even a shovelful of yeast will start it!

You'll probably have to dilute the batch.

Just re-check everything out tomorrow!

Pogo

Old 12-01-2008, 05:22 PM   #24
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Will do pogo, got to get more yeast if going to dilute anyway... i will retake the OG tonight and then decide on what to do.

Cheers

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Old 12-02-2008, 04:06 AM   #25
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

ITSSS ALIVE!!! ITS ALIVE!!!!!

Today i went out and got enough apple juice to cut the cider down into 3 batches of a more manageable OG to ferment. That was alot of apple juice, but i was lucky and ran across a sale at Walmart so it wasnt as bad as it could have been. I went to class and drove home through the worse snow storm michigan has had in the last five minutes and i was walking up stairs to my apartment and i looked into the fermenter and behold there is a ring of foam around the top of the fermenter, and even more yet the ocasional tiny bubble in the solution which went up and met the foam, as a i watched the air lock bubbled a little... just to make sure i gentally removed the airlock and stuck my nose in over the hole and what is it i smell but the beautiful smell of brewing hard cider.... as of right now the fermentation is slow and weak but i have added two moer packets of LV-118 dry yeast to boost cell count and moved it into a warmer place to facilitate germination... ITS ALIVE!!!... The OG was high yesterday and it was high enough to make me worry but it is fermenting and will one day have hard cider, i have also added yeast nurtrients to help the yeast along... but Operation Black Gold is off the ground and proceeding slowly to target i would say the OG was at least 1.125if not more but things are going now... i assume i will have a rocky start ahead but the hardest part is over for now

Cheers

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Old 12-14-2008, 05:06 PM   #26
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I wanted to update to see if i got any more hit on this thread, but it has been roughly 12 days since fermentation started in ernest and it fermented hard for 3-4 days, had to add a blow off tub because of krusen filling the air lock with cider and gumming things up with less that fell out of solution in the airlock...

To date fermentation is still going strong... always looks like a bottle of soda water which was shook up... Getting a large yeast sediment on the bottom but will not rack off of yeast for at least another 14-16 days... went into rhino farts roughly a week ago and took about 5 days for smell to reside... After taking a more accurate initial OG reading the OG war 1.128 and my target SG is right around 1.000 im not sure what the final ABV will be at that point... i would appriciate sombody to run that number for me...

Thanks, cheers, and happy holidays... this stuff wont be ready for christmas

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Old 12-14-2008, 05:43 PM   #27
zoahed
Recipes 

Sounds good keep us posted. On an off topic point where you at in MI.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:55 PM   #28
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Round Battle Creek, you?

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Old 12-14-2008, 06:10 PM   #29
zoahed
Recipes 

Decatur, its near the Paw Paw Kalamazoo area.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:53 PM   #30
JoeSponge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Off the top of my head (thumbs being what they are), I guess 17.4% -- do you think your yeast will carry that far, Ted?

Oh my gosh, but cider's neat.
Taste's so sweet, it can't be beat.
Good in the cold or in the heat.
Oh my gosh, but cider's neat!

Quick Reply