Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Massive Strength Hard Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2008, 10:48 PM   #11
lapaglia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Flaw, Dont heat the cider. All it will do is set the pectins and it will never clear. Use Campden tablets 1 per gallon instead. crush and mix in 24 hours before you add the yeast.

On Deck: 90 Shilling Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2008, 04:46 AM   #12
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

BrewinJack - I would recommend doing a stepped feeding for the inital additions.
- 8 pounds dark brown sugar
- 6 pounds honey
- 3 pounds molasses
- 1/2 pound ground black tea leaves
Add some yeast nutrient into this mix.

Then add 1/4th of that into the apple juice, pitch the yeast, wait until you start smelling the rhino farts, then add another 1/4 take a measurement, wait a day or two, add another 1/4. I am thinking by this time your fermentation may be slowing. I am all for making high octane ciders, but I have to be able to drink and enjoy them. The last 1/4 addition will be your problem area, and please keep us informed on how it works out.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:57 PM   #13
shoes45
Recipes 

wait, isnt this a hooch thread?

Old 11-30-2008, 12:55 AM   #14
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Edited grocery list

5 gallons pure apple juice (15$)

8 pounds light brown sugar (6$)

5 pounds high quality mixed raw honey (20$)

2 pounds Black molasses (7$)

LV-118 yeast (2$)

total = 50$

Knowing that one day all the hard work is gonna pay off, and you can just get stupid drunk because you have 5 gallons worth... Priceless

somthings money cant buy, but for everything else theres mastercard

tommrrow things go into the pot, im expecting a very high SG to start with, and im expecting a long ferment time... thinking warm fermentation, rather then cold... any thoughts???

Cheers

"I wish i could give all my genrals a bottle of what he's drinking..." Honest Abe

"On the 8th day God created Bars"

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:
Operation "Black Gold" (High ABV) (5 Gal)

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Old 11-30-2008, 01:13 AM   #15
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thankx kahuna, i was wondering about the intitial high content, and also in what order to add all of it... I will definatly keep you informed... it will be hard not to keep a day to day log running on this one... I dont know Shoe im not sure this counts as hooch... it seems pretty delicate as it is... and hooch isnt very delicate, but the joke is appreciated... i would rather not use Camp tabs, i have a dislike for them, but the good news the juice i have is of decent quality and its pasturized already so i dont have to worry about Camp tabs my only worry would be getting the stuff to dissolve with out heat... to get the honey and black molasses and the browne sugar incorperate themselves in the brew... this causes a problem... could use a hint here...

"I wish i could give all my genrals a bottle of what he's drinking..." Honest Abe

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Old 11-30-2008, 04:12 PM   #16
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 968 Times on 636 Posts
Likes Given: 2658

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewinJack View Post
my only worry would be getting the stuff to dissolve with out heat... to get the honey and black molasses and the browne sugar incorperate themselves in the brew... this causes a problem... could use a hint here...
I used a blender. You may need to mix your honey & molasses with your juice in 1 or 2 pound (roughly) increments depending on your blender's motor power; mine will only do 2 pounds of honey at a time & only with sufficient juice to thin it. I've also warmed the honey/molasses/juice in the microwave prior to blending, just enough to warm it though. You could certainly use the same technique to mix the brown sugar as well. The blender often takes some time to use, but it works well, does the job without heat (except for the optional microwave thing) and has the added benefit of super areating the must. You can even mix in your yeast nutrients that way. It works well for me, maybe it'll work well for you. Regards, GF.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:10 PM   #17
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thankx for the hint, dont have a blender but you did give me an idea

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Old 11-30-2008, 10:45 PM   #18
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Double Post, sorry

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Reason: double post

Old 11-30-2008, 11:20 PM   #19
BrewinJack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Damn just lost this whole post...

Well everything is in the fermenter, well not everything had a gallon of mixed apples juice and sugars left not in the fermenter ... calcualted it out to about 7lbs of fermentable sugars in the whole 5 gallon batch, this is based on 70% of honey being fermentable, 50% of molasses being fermentable, and 100% of brow sugar being fermentable... i actully got about 4.8 pounds of honey, 1.25 pounds of molasses, and 3 pounds of brown sugar... so on avrage about a 1.5 pounds of sugar per gallon which is fermentable... plus the sugar already in the apple juice... its not from concentrate so its not a crap load but it is there, so at max about 2lbs of fermntables per gallon... which is pretty high, but less then a sweet mead, which has about 3.5 gallons of honey pergallon of water, which avrages out to 2.45 pounds of fermentables pergallon.... i dont know i am just worried i over sugared things...

i had a plan but like all best laid plans it failed misseriable... i was gonna add the sugar in thirds, but foudn that i would not have the room in the fermenter for the additions with 5 gallons of juice, i also needed to get the sugars good and mixed in and the brew well aired... well i think im ok... i hope im ok... the whole pack of LV-118 went it and got mixed in... i then mised in the nutrients and set the fermenter on the stairs to the apartment with the airlock in place to get started... i hope it works... i really do...

Thanks gratus the blender idea helped imensly... i have worked hard, and i wish i had a brew to crack open... my cider last batch of cider is in secondary, and my last bottle got drank last night... i will draw off a pint of regular store bought draft cider and sit down and dream of this batch tonight....

thinking of getting a bigger fermenter... maybe a 7 gallon ale pail and adding the last gallon of mix to the main batch tommrrow or the next day, perhaps with some more yeast to keep things going??? im worried i under pinched with only one envalope... and i would like the whole batch to ferment at once, rather then in stages... i would also still add more sugar to keep boosting achohal content along the way... much easier to do while it in a ale pail rather then in a carboy...

cheers

Primary:
Ginger mead (3 Gal)
Edworts Apfelwine (5Gal)
Australian Lager (5gal)

Secondary:

Bottled:
Carmel Stout
Stright Juice Cider
Apple/Blue berry/ale

Old 12-01-2008, 12:22 AM   #20
Pogo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What is the OG of this ambrosia?

I'll bet that it is so high that it will not ferment, and if it does start, it will probably stall out multiple times.

You'll probably have to divide this batch up into at least 3, maybe more, separate 5 gallon primaries (a hydrometer will tell you how many), and then top off with apple juice to get something half way workable and drinkable!

If you just want rocket fuel, you could have bought a lot of Everclear (MasterCard!!!) for what you've already got invested, with much less work and wait!

Pogo

Quick Reply