*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Maltose in cider? & Advice for doing a secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
johnnyjumpup
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default Maltose in cider? & Advice for doing a secondary?

Does anyone know what kind of flavor you could achieve by adding pure maltose to a batch of cider? Would it be... malty, or do you think it would simply get metabolized away without imparting flavor?

Also, could anyone give me a quick rundown on the basics of doing a secondary fermentation?

Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 22

maltose is a very simple sugar, a disaccharide being composed of two glucose molecules; any self-resecting yeast will chew it up and move on to the next course. pure maltose doesn't taste like 'malt' any more than pure sucrose tastes like beets

Old 12-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
johnnyjumpup
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks!

Old 12-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
Hieron
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for asking the question johnny; I was wondering about this a while back.

As for secondary - I'm still a noob at this (1st batch is in 2ndary and 2nd batch is in primary) but there's not really much to it:

1) Siphon your cider into a new sterilized container using whatever method you prefer.

2) When you start 2ndary is a matter of opinion and exactly what kind of cider you want to make, but generally when primary fermentation is completely done or "almost" done it's time. Depending on the temp, your preference (& patience :P), and other things, my research says this can be anywhere from day 8 to like 2.5 weeks or more.

3) Once you've siphoned into the new container, seal it up, pop a new airlock on, and you're done!

4) They say an S-shape airlock is better for secondary because it allows for better tracking of fermentation, and I would agree (granted I've only done secondary once!)

5) Duration of secondary also varies quite a bit depending on who you talk to - I've read recipes that say a couple days all the way out to 6 months, with a minimum 3 weeks being a common middle ground. I'm going about a month on my 1st batch, but just a few days on my 2nd batch, which is the "quickie" recipe you can find in the thread called "starting a simple cider" on this forum. Hoping to have it done by Christmas!

Anyway hope this helps; take it easy.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
johnnyjumpup
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks!

Quick Reply