Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Malted apple cider is HOT!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2013, 05:04 AM   #1
carvindc125
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Malted apple cider is HOT!

recipe

1 gallon apple juice (no preservatives)
1 cup light DME
16oz honey
1/4 teaspoon s04
SG 1.070
racked to secondary 14 days from start, and took gravity reading about 0.996 so its dry that is right at 10% ABV

GOD its HOT! Like almost Vodka HOT.
It smells Wonderful just like every other cider I have made but MAN it taste hot very harsh.
now I decided to take a taste of the bottom of the bucket very close to the sediment and it wasnt nearly as hot as the top I pulled off for a sample but it was still harsh as hell. Anyone have a clue as to what would cause it to get this hot and do you think it will mellow out in the secondary after a few weeks?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2013, 05:14 AM   #2
BoShimTang
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My guess is it's the honey. I've made two batches of cyser (3 gallons apple cider with 10lbs. of honey) and they were both a little rough until they were aged. The first batch was bottled after about 6 months and it still had off flavors for the first year or so. The second batch was brewed in August 2011 and I just bottled it this April... It is smooth! IDK the ABV off the top of my head but it was well in excess of 15% on both batches.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:15 AM   #3
carvindc125
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

On a lighter note the cherry apple cider I made 8 weeks ago has carbonated and taste AMAZING

Old 05-31-2013, 05:17 AM   #4
carvindc125
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoShimTang View Post
My guess is it's the honey. I've made two batches of cyser (3 gallons apple cider with 10lbs. of honey) and they were both a little rough until they were aged. The first batch was bottled after about 6 months and it still had off flavors for the first year or so. The second batch was brewed in August 2011 and I just bottled it this April... It is smooth! IDK the ABV off the top of my head but it was well in excess of 15% on both batches.
Could be the honey. I knew that would make it a bit harsh but didnt realize it would do that....O well i'll let it age a while and see what happens

Old 05-31-2013, 05:25 AM   #5
BoShimTang
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvindc125

Could be the honey. I knew that would make it a bit harsh but didnt realize it would do that....O well i'll let it age a while and see what happens
Just be patient with it... You may be pleasantly surprised!

Quick Reply