Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Malic acid = tart cider?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
smythe012
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Malic acid = tart cider?

I just finished up my first batch of cider, and while I'm a big fan (suprisingly drinkable!) I was hoping for a bit more tartness. I used the typical ingredients (juice, nutrients, yeast, concentrate to carb/backsweeten) with the hope that carbing it up would brighten it up a bit.

I'm still waiting for it to carb up to the right level, but I don't think the final result is what I was looking for.

Anyways, I know that adding malic acid is supposed to give it a tartness, but is also used to adjust acidity (this is a little deeper into the brewing process than I am familiar with) and can cause malo-lactic fermentation.

I saw UpstateMike's KISS recipe and figured that the malic acid added was the difference, but I wanted to make sure.

Am I on the right track?

Also, can you add into the secondary?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 01:12 AM   #2
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yep, malic acid will increase the tartness of cider. Carbonation will as well due to the carbonic acid created. Malic can be added at any point, pre, during, and after fermentation as well as in the serving glass if you really messed up the balance.

Adding malic will not cause a malo-lactic fermentation to occur, for that you need a MLF culture.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:45 AM   #3
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I like to add the malic acid in the bottling bucket, so you can judge by taste. I find that 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons per gallon seems to do the trick.

"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider

Quick Reply