Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Making My Cider Taste More Like Cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2007, 05:14 PM   #1
Sluggo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Making My Cider Taste More Like Cider

I have two 3 gallon batches of hard cider that have been aging for about 2 months now. They were made with identical ingredients (including adding some extra sugar for more boozy goodness), but I used two different strains of yeast to try a side-by-side comparison. Both are a little thin tasting and have lost almost all of their apple flavor.

I really want them to taste more cidery before I keg them and am wondering how to do that without restarting fermentation. I'm thinking of adding either more cider or apple juice concentrate. Probably concentrate to minimize the dilution of alcohol.

How can I go about making sure the yeast is dead before I add the concentrate? Just add campden tablets (how many per 3 gallon batch) or is there more to it?

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2007, 05:16 PM   #2
rabidgerbil
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What yeasts did you use?
I just made a 5 gallon batch, and used a Wyeast cider yeast, and a combination of fresh pressed pasturized cider and mass produced apple juice, and it has a nice tart apple taste to it.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:26 PM   #3
Sluggo

Recipes 

I used White Labs English Cider and White Labs Sweet Mead. I think the lack of flavor might be due to the added sugar and more alcohol making them both pretty dry. There is some apple flavor there, but I' guess I'm looking for more of a sweet flavor.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:05 PM   #4
rabidgerbil

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hmmm... I added about 2 lbs of table sugar, and 3 lbs of brown sugar, and still have a nice apple flavor, but the yeast that I used does say that it finishes with a nice fruity flavor.
http://www.wyeastlab.com/he_c_yeasts...tail.cfm?ID=62

Old 12-02-2007, 11:10 PM   #5
woodwormlumber
Recipes 

i pretty much has the same question you did. the yeasts i were wine yeasts i already had. i was told to try adding some tannin to the mix. 1/8 tsp per gallon and then to taste. this will bring back your "bite" i'm going to be doing this in the next couple days and i'll try to remember to post the results. with respect to concentrate, if you add something with a preservative, you won't get fermentation. which may be ok unless you want to carbonate it. like i said, i haven't done this yet, just passing along info given to me.

jason

Old 12-03-2007, 12:23 AM   #6
JimC
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Use fruitier yeasts, such as wheat or British style ale's or better a cider specific yeast. Wine yeast will leave it tasting (oddly enough) like a wine!

Old 12-03-2007, 03:03 AM   #7
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

I just finished a cider, when it hit about 1.005 I racked it to a corny keg with a few crushed up campden tabs, gelatin, and some wine conditioner which has invert sugar and potassium sulfate. Cooled the keg for about two weeks, then racked off the yeast into another keg, it is relatively clear, and I added apple juice concentrate to sweeten it and add back apple flavor. Added about 32oz of concentrate to ~4.5 gallons of cider and it tasted great.

edit: I used the sweet mead yeast for this one

Old 12-03-2007, 03:26 AM   #8
rabidgerbil

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

yeah, I was warned at my LHBS to NOT use wine yeasts, as they ferment out so dry that I would not have much cider flavor left, and the yeast does nothing to add flavor to the cider. The cider yeast I used came out pretty good, but next time I want to try something like a british ale yeast, or a hefe yeast.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:26 AM   #9
fatboy570
Recipes 

Ive always used Red Star Cote des Blancs for my still cider, adding some cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice, no measurements, just sprinkle some into secondary. Potassium sorbate to inhibit yeast activity, then sweeten to taste with table sugar.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:29 AM   #10
rabidgerbil

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy570
Ive always used Red Star Cote des Blancs for my still cider, adding some cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice, no measurements, just sprinkle some into secondary. Potassium sorbate to inhibit yeast activity, then sweeten to taste with table sugar.
so you take a highly attenuative yeast and inhibit it? why not just start with a yeast that is less attenuative? and don't ask me if that is really a word, i just got done drinking a WHOLE lot of my first hard cider... as far as hardness goes, it ranks somewhere around diamonds. WOW... what a kick

Quick Reply