Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Making hard cider from frozen concentrate.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
bartons15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Making hard cider from frozen concentrate.

Questions:
How many cans would you need for a 5 gallon batch and do you add water? If not, wouldn't the concentrate be too sweet? Anyone ever do it this way and how did it turn out?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
hunter_la5
16%er
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 569 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 1613

Yes, you would need to add water, and probably a little sugar too. I haven't made cider from concentrate since I was in college, so I don't really remember how many cans for a 5 gallon batch. You could just follow the directions on the can, and scale it to 5 gallons based on those specs, and add a pound of two of sugar.

2. Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer
3. KingBrianI's Common Room ESB
cheezydemon3 is my spirit animal.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
BBBF
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_la5 View Post
Yes, you would need to add water, and probably a little sugar too. I haven't made cider from concentrate since I was in college, so I don't really remember how many cans for a 5 gallon batch. You could just follow the directions on the can, and scale it to 5 gallons based on those specs, and add a pound of two of sugar.
I've used frozen concentrate once. I think if you scale up the directions on the cans, the OG was around 1.04. So you might want to get a couple extra cans to bump it up a little higher.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
robbyhicks
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Last batch I did out of concentrate I bought 14 or 15 if I recall and 3 were for back sweetening, the rest made the juice, added 1 can of concentrate without the water to. Bump the og... ended up around 9%...

Old 06-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
womencantsail
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyhicks View Post
Last batch I did out of concentrate I bought 14 or 15 if I recall and 3 were for back sweetening, the rest made the juice, added 1 can of concentrate without the water to. Bump the og... ended up around 9%...
Did you happen to take a gravity reading on the undiluted concentrate?

I'm going to be making an "ice" cider soon and I'm trying to figure out what ratio of cider/juice to concentrate I will need to get the correct OG (looking for 1.130 - 1.140).

Old 06-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
fosaisu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartons15 View Post
Questions:
How many cans would you need for a 5 gallon batch and do you add water? If not, wouldn't the concentrate be too sweet? Anyone ever do it this way and how did it turn out?
Just reconstitute the cans and use like normal juice. You'd have to check the gravity but I'd guess it would come out close to standard apple juice (Mott's bottled apple juice is 1.05, for reference). So the easiest thing to do would be to make 5 gallons of reconstituted juice and just pitch your yeast into it.

As to whether you should add some extra cans of undiluted concentrate (or add additional sugar) before fermentation to pump up the ABV, that just depends on how strong you want your cider to be. The only cider I've made I intentionally stopped fermentation before it was complete, but if you let it go all the way I've read it will reach an FG near 1.00, which would give you an ABV of 6.7% assuming you started at 1.05. If you want more alcohol than that, add more concentrate (undiluted) or sugar up front. If you're trying to approximate commerical hard ciders available in the USA, I think you'd want 5% - 6% ABV.

If you're planning to add concentrate (undiluted) or sugar for sweetness after fermentation is complete, just remember that will cause additional fermentation, leading to more alcohol and carbonation and less sweetness, unless you take steps to prevent fermentation (refrigeration, kegging + refrigeration, bottle pasteurizing). Just something to be aware of given the risk of bottle bombs. Because I wanted to make semi-sweet, carbonated ciders and was nervous about bottle pasteurizing, I waited until I got a kegging setup to make my first cider.

Quick Reply