I've fermented plenty of hard cider in gallon jugs, but will have the opportunity to do a BIG batch this fall.
I'd like to use wooden barrels, but there are so many questions. Just for openers:
* what kind of barrel is best?
* how do i rack or otherwise get the good cider off the yeast dregs?
* Do I just use the barrel to ferment, or can I also age the cider there and bottle it as needed?
* how do I get the cider into the barrel and seal it?
* Do I use one of those wooden spigots to drain the cider, and if so, why do I always see the spigot near the bottom of the barrel so close to where the yeast dregs settle?
Can anyone help me with this?