Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Making hard cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2012, 05:11 AM   #21
JtotheA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapeckr View Post
I am a first time cider brewer, amature beer brewer, I know that when brewing beer you can add Irish moss for clarity of the brew. Can you do the same with cider? Will it ruin the product? Or is it more desirable as a cloudy product? Any help would be great!
I have produced some ciders that turn out a little hazy and some that are definitely clear and I think really what it comes down to is how it tastes. I haven't noticed a connection between clarity and taste. If something tastes awesome to me and it's a bit hazy, so be it. Really don't want to add anything else to make it clear. On the same note, I do understand that cloudiness can mean that there is still yeast activity. But if I racked something and let it cold crash and it's still not clear after sitting for a couple weeks...if it tastes good to me then I'm happy. Lately I've been brewing storebought juice with Nottingham or S-04 and not adding any sugar whatsoever (maybe some concentrate to get it close to 1.06) and they've been turning out very clear.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 07:09 AM   #22
ezbonzo01
Recipes 

If i bottle after i wait till it reaches its end result cal it be stored bottled without risk of turning into vinegar? I have 12 gallons, 2 different types of cider. But now im worried that it will turn before we can enjoy it. I had planned on bottling in regular cork wine bottles and storing it in my basement until we were ready to grab a bottle.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #23
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Assuming you used proper sanitation, your risk of ending up with vinegar is slim to none.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #24
Daze
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapeckr View Post
I am a first time cider brewer, amature beer brewer, I know that when brewing beer you can add Irish moss for clarity of the brew. Can you do the same with cider? Will it ruin the product? Or is it more desirable as a cloudy product? Any help would be great!

Unless you are using fresh juice and you heat it, cider will always turn out clear. hazy cider is usually the result of pectin that has been set when fresh juice has been heated. Something a little pectic enzyme can easily fix when adding to the beginning of the must. Also keep in mind that in most cases if a cider is not clear (other than pectic haze) than that is a good indicator that there is still yeast in suspension which is making it cloudy and indicates an active ferment.
- "It's all about time. You can't rush perfection. Time TIME TIME!!! You either need to pay on the front end or the rear. If the batch ferments out fast you need to secondary age or bottle age it. If it ferments out slow... months not weeks, then you don't have to age it nearly as long to get good flavors. Either way time is the key when making ciders and wines."

Old 05-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #25
ezbonzo01
Recipes 

Thats awesome, after reading (alot) in this forum is was considerably worried about the acid levels, and the possibility of it turning on me. Absolutely i will sanitize and bottle. I think though after sampling "Angry Orchards" cider brand, i am going to go with a still cider as opposed to priming for a bottle carb. I like the smoothness of it, and it doesn't give me heartburn like woodchuck! On another note, would adding pectic enzyme before fermentation assist with clearing? And should i add campden tablets to produce the still cider that i am going for? Or that other stuff the sanitizing additive. I cant remember the name... (metabisufite) ???

Old 05-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #26
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts

Making cider is not much different than making a wine. Isn't Hard Cider is just low ABV apple wine?

Your risk of ending up with vinegar should only occur if you introduce oxygen during or after fermentation. The bug that makes vinegar and thrives on apples requires Oxygen to multiply.

The Acid in the apple juice will make fermentation slow to start; it helps if you make your starter a few days in advance with a small portion of your must (or something very close to your must). I have found that yeast nutrient helps.

Back sweeting can be done with wine conditioner (still only) or splenda without risk of secondary fermentation.

Irish Moss requires boiling so I would think it's use is limited with cider; maybe try gelatin if you think you need it.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #27
ezbonzo01
Recipes 

Default Cider in primary

I have 2 six gallon batches in primary stage. Its been about 6 weeks for both batches. My question is, i won't be able to rack into tje secondarys until tje weekend, which i assume is long overdue. Is the length in the primary going to effect the cider overall???

Old 05-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #28
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

should be fine

Quick Reply