The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Making hard cider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #11
jefflane510
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze

It has been my experience that unless you are planning to age it at least 6 months, adding sugar alone to sweeten the cider is a bad idea. Instead of a full bodied sweet cider you taste dry cider and sugar, two unmarried and distinct flavors. Not only will adding sugar by the glass create this result but if the cider is carbonated the act of adding the sugar will also cause much of the co2 to leave the cider so you end up with flat cider at which point you could have stabilized, back-sweetened, bottled and aged for a similar yet superior result. IMHO
I agree with daze about the dry cider and sugar flavors not working out well. But, you can use maple syrup, the real stuff, and it actually turns out pretty good. I think part of the difference is that the liquid doesn't require as much stirring, and therefore doesn't release as much carbonation as table sugar would.

I encourage you to try your cider dry at some point. It can be so refreshing that on a hot summer morning you might not want to reach for orange juice!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #12
ezbonzo01
Recipes 

Okay, so i've finally gotten started with my cider batch. OG was 1.058. I added 2 cups of Dextrose, and 2 lbs of light brown sugar. I used Safale S-05 dry ale yeast. I started the batch Friday night. No signs of fermentation in the airlock after 48 hours. The temp is 64.8 degrees where it sits. After about 30 hours i have quite a bit of activity in the airlock, but the brew is only bubbling and dosnt have a setiment layer on top. I checked it again, and the airlock activity seems to have slowed up a bit. I cant immagine it is nearing the end of the fermentation cycle already. Im wondering if i should add a yeast nutrient, or just leave it be. I have not shecked the SG since i started with the 1.058. Any thoughts? I haven't used this yeast strain before. This may just be the way it is supposed to react

Last edited by ezbonzo01; 05-01-2012 at 12:43 PM.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #13
fbangie
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Let it sit for a couple weeks then check SG. If it's still not down where you want it let it go another week or 2. The ale yeasts goes at a more leisurely pace compared to a wine or champagne yeast. Need to have a little more patience with the ale yeast but you will be rewarded in the end.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #14
ezbonzo01
Recipes 

I checked it again this afternoon, she's starting to smell like its working in good shape. Airlock activity is still pretty good, though slow its still going

Old 05-02-2012, 02:20 AM   #15
Fizzycist
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 41

With cider you aren't going to get a big kreuzen like with beer. That big burst of action was probably your main fermentation. I'd still leave it a couple weeks to let the yeast work on the flavor.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #16
ezbonzo01
Recipes 

Thanx, you guys have been a great help in my new ro brewing experience.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #17
ezbonzo01
Recipes 

My cider is not clear at all. Been bubbling away for 3 weeks. I have not transferred it to a secondary yet because its it isnt done bubbling yet. What are the chances of it turning to vinegar? This is my first attempt at hard cider fg was 1.060. I used safale 05. 3 weeks in primary still going

Old 05-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #18
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 3

In my experience, cider doesn't exactly 'stop' fermenting all at once. It very slowly peters out as FG is approached over the course of weeks. Racking to secondary helps end the process sooner to allow for clearing. Take an SG reading to see where you are. I typically rack around 1.006.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #19
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezbonzo01 View Post
Okay, so in order to prepare for bottling, i should check SG, then add sugar to increase the SG, .002. Then pasteurize... Using heat? Pr refrigeration???
Standard rate for bottle priming is just shy of 3/4 cup sugar per 5 gallon batch.

If you are bottling dry cider (at least 3 readings the same under 1.000, I would space them a day or 2 apart) you don't need to do anything else.

If you are bottle conditioning a sweet cider you MUSTpasteurize (see the Pappers sticky on technique.)

Old 05-11-2012, 04:25 AM   #20
bapeckr
Recipes 

I am a first time cider brewer, amature beer brewer, I know that when brewing beer you can add Irish moss for clarity of the brew. Can you do the same with cider? Will it ruin the product? Or is it more desirable as a cloudy product? Any help would be great!

Quick Reply