Making cider with lambic blend yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonetlumiere85

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried this? I've got about a gallon of cider that I'm planning on adding some sugar to, and then fermenting with a smack pack of Wyeast's lambic blend. I imagine it could be really tasty.

I'll be sure to let you guys know how it goes!

I was thinking about this too a few weeks back, and was thinking it might be best with something like Brandon O's graff. Is the lambic blend just yeast and lacto?

From Wyeast's website: Contains a selection of Saccharomyces and non-Saccharomyces including Belgian-style wheat beer yeast, sherry yeast, two Brettanomyces strains and lactic acid bacteria.

They also mention that not every strain used in authentic lambics is included, but thats fine by me, considering some of those include enteric bacteria (think intestines). I may end up adding some kind of malt to add some depth. I'll post a recipe in the next day or so.

Sounds like an interesting blend. I was thinking malt as well as the bugs would likely ferment everything from the juice and leave you with a sour horse blanket flavored alcoholic water beverage. How long do you plan on aging?

I made some of this about a year and a half ago. I bottled it, but I never got around to opening it because... stuff happened. I think I might give it a go now and see how it turned out.

Back