HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Making Applejack from hard cider?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 07:05 AM   #1
Moutaz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Making Applejack from hard cider?

Hello. So I want to make applejack from some of the hard cider i made a while ago. I have about 3 liters that are ready to be frozen to turn into applejack. Now I understand that making applejack would need us to freeze hard cider till the water freezes then wait for the alcohol to drip through a clothing or whatever. I'm familiar with the way of making applejack, I am just worried if it will not be safe to consume. I understand that the ABV will high and I should measure how much i want to drink with shot measurements. But the thing that is worrying me the most is the methanol and fusel alcohols. I read at some sites that freezing hard cider concentrates alcohol, all of them. Ethanol, methanol and the fusel alcohols. I need to know if that is true or not, and if it will have any effect on me drinking it. And if just simply freezing it and then taking the drippings dangerous and could make me blind, how do u seperate the ethanol from the methanol after you freeze it and let it drip?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
Kashue
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Well yes, freeze distillation will not remove methanol and fusels the way heat distillation can. However it also cannot ADD them; the only alcohol there will be the alcohol that would be in cider anyway. And it's important to remember that applejack is basically a brandy, and contains far less in the way of methanol than the potent potato and wheat mash used to distill other spirits. If you exercise the moderation you would with any other liquor, you should be okay.

In terms of the science, I don't know about dripping. In old days they freeze distilled by putting a barrel of cider outside and skimming the ice off with a ladle. Once your applejack is distilled down I suspect there is no way to remove undesirable alcohols as their filtration in heat distillation depends on the way the whole beverage evaporates.

Again though, your applejack won't contain anything cider doesn't already- just follow the "shot of liquor = glass of beer" rule they teach in driver's ed and you should be fine

Old 03-21-2013, 04:07 AM   #3
Bittersharp
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So "jacking" cider is not similar to brandy in that brandy is fermented fruit juice (traditionally grapes, can be a variety of juices) that is then distilled. With jacking - in the traditional sense - there is no distillation. So all you are doing is condensing your hard cider into an ice wine through cold temperatures.

Typically, commercial examples of ice cider round out <20% so even with the best of efforts you are somewhere below coconut rum and the condensed fusel character of - say - moonshine are not an issue because your final product is not 80%+ alcohol that needs to be cut for consumption.

In the worst case scenario, provided that there were excessive fusels, you would get a nasty hangover. But that would only happen if you had an excessively high ferment. If you created your cider for the initial purpose of consumption (vs. moonshine which is fermented hot to produce as much alcohol as possible in the shortest amount of time) and fermented at celler to room temperature, then this should not be an issue.

Bottom line is that "jacking" is essentially concentrating a product. So if you have a perfectly fine cider then you will have a more concentrated version of it after the jack. You can not, however, fix fermentation flaws through the jacking process as they will just be amplified through concentration.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
MarkKF
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Drinking 4 oz of jack is no more dangerous than 12 oz of hard cider. All you did is remove 8 oz of water.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:38 AM   #5
archtech88
Recipes 

I have a similar question, if anyone is listening.

I've made a cyser (mead with cider base instead of water) and it fermented at about 17% alcohol content. If I 'jacked' it, would I need to worry about the bad alcohols, or would I just need to be sure to drink it in moderation? Also, about how much jacked cyser would I get out of regular cyser? I've bottled it into wine bottles, so I'd be popping the cork and then jacking them, and I don't want to open more than I have to get about a bottle of jacked cyser.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
MindenMan
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I have made a couple of different versions of apple jack so far; the first was with a 1 gallon batch of cider. I froze it in a plastic bottle for a couple of days, and let it drain until the color changed, and collected the rest with very little color at all. Since I collected two different strength solutions, the difference in alcohol strength was very noticeable. Kind of like brandy in one and quite hard cider in the other. I then made three gallons of cider fermented it, froze it, and then drained off all the liquid until it looked like just ice, and had no flavor to speak of. I then refroze what I had collected, separated it one more time and the alcohol level was almost too hot to drink straight. Next time I may use blackberry or some other juice and freeze concentrate that too.

EDIT: The ice that was left still had alcohol in it, so I thawed it and downed it. I was surprised there was much more booze in that "clear" ice than I had imagined.

Last edited by MindenMan; 04-29-2013 at 01:22 AM. Reason: EDIT:

Old 04-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
Maverick22
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The simple answer is stop worrying. I have researched this for a while and there is not enough Methanol made during Cider fermentation.

The concern is when idiots take corn and extract the sugars out of it to get a moonshine must and then distill this after fermented.

This happens due to high levels of Pectin in these starting products.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #8
thrall
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This video should help you. I have followed his instructions and it worked well. He also goes into the dangers....or lack of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykc5pUw8ugA

Old 04-29-2013, 01:14 AM   #9
MindenMan
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default 17% Hooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by archtech88 View Post
I have a similar question, if anyone is listening.

I've made a cyser (mead with cider base instead of water) and it fermented at about 17% alcohol content. If I 'jacked' it, would I need to worry about the bad alcohols, or would I just need to be sure to drink it in moderation? Also, about how much jacked cyser would I get out of regular cyser? I've bottled it into wine bottles, so I'd be popping the cork and then jacking them, and I don't want to open more than I have to get about a bottle of jacked cyser.
If you were to only get the alcohol portion of your cyser, 17% would be pure alcohol. Unless you are going to do multiple freeze concentrations, it's not likely you will get just alcohol. Look at it his way: if you have a 32 oz bottle of high test cyser, 6.4 ounces would be pure jacked. Figure about 12 ounces per bottle at first collection, so it would take 3 liters of cyser to get you one liter of 40 proof hooch. Look at it his way; Schnapps are about 40 proof. YMMV

Last edited by MindenMan; 04-29-2013 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Clarity

Old 04-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
MarkKF
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

If u jack 5 gal and get 2 gal. Approx same in 12 oz of cider as 5 oz of jack. So if u usually drink the two 12 oz ciders only drink two 5 oz jacks.

Quick Reply