New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > make the cider a little sweeter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2008, 03:09 PM   #1
Tielson's
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default make the cider a little sweeter

What other yeasts can be used to make mt cider sweeter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2008, 03:25 PM   #2
mnirish
Recipes 

The local homebrew store (Midwest) actually recommended that I use WYeast's Whitbread 1099 for a batch of cider. It's an ale yeast so I'm not completely sure what the rationale on recommending it to me was but I believe it had something to do with being a little more fruity and not so aggressively eating the sugars.....leaving it sweet and not as dry. I was skeptical but I just cracked the first bottle of it this weekend and I must say it was a little sweeter than when I use the Wyeast's traditional Cider yeast. Worth a shot.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:29 PM   #3
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tielson's
What other yeasts can be used to make mt cider sweeter
you could use the same yeast your using and add lactose to it. Also I think there is a apfelwein thread floating around where the guy made 5 batches with 5 seperate yeast strains and I believe he said the WL300 hefe yeast made it very tropical but im not sure of the number it may have been a smack pack I'll try to find it for you.

Edit: ok found it here is the link http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=29003&highlight=apfelwein

he used Wyeast 3068

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Last edited by RICLARK; 04-07-2008 at 03:34 PM.

Quick Reply