Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Lower Attenuation = sweeter cider?
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2008, 08:41 AM   #1
aliu630
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 137
Default Lower Attenuation = sweeter cider?

Hi Guys,

I jsut finished making my hard cider and it turned out dryer than i expected. I was thinking next time I can pick an ale yeast that has lower attenuation so less sugar would b converted to alcohol therefore making it somewhat sweeter. Would this work? Is there any yeast that you guys can recommend?

Thanks in advance for the help!

__________________
aliu630 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2008, 01:13 PM   #2
zoebisch01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zoebisch01's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central PA
Posts: 5,198
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliu630
Hi Guys,

I jsut finished making my hard cider and it turned out dryer than i expected. I was thinking next time I can pick an ale yeast that has lower attenuation so less sugar would b converted to alcohol therefore making it somewhat sweeter. Would this work? Is there any yeast that you guys can recommend?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Well, I am not sure. I am going to post some results soon from my yeast experiment. What I seem to have found, at least in the case with fresh pressed unpasteurized cider, is that the Ale, Wine and Natural yeasts have all put the gravity down to 1.001. The only real difference I have noticed is slightly different (although not terribly much so far) flavor profiles and flocculation properties (obviously). That and the first yeast to finish out was the Ale, followed by the Wine and lastly the Natural yeast.

So for sweeter, at least in my experience with this test, is that you'd probably have to kill the yeast and back sweeten. Or how about adding a touch of syrup at serving time? You could experiment easily.
__________________
Event Horizon ~ A tribute to the miracle of fermentation.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.
zoebisch01 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,804
Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01
Well, I am not sure. I am going to post some results soon from my yeast experiment. What I seem to have found, at least in the case with fresh pressed unpasteurized cider, is that the Ale, Wine and Natural yeasts have all put the gravity down to 1.001. The only real difference I have noticed is slightly different (although not terribly much so far) flavor profiles and flocculation properties (obviously). That and the first yeast to finish out was the Ale, followed by the Wine and lastly the Natural yeast.

So for sweeter, at least in my experience with this test, is that you'd probably have to kill the yeast and back sweeten. Or how about adding a touch of syrup at serving time? You could experiment easily.
Or couldn't you just add a non fermentable sugar, such as lactose?
__________________

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Revvy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2008, 02:31 PM   #4
zoebisch01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zoebisch01's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central PA
Posts: 5,198
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
Or couldn't you just add a non fermentable sugar, such as lactose?
It would work, although it would take some experimentation to see if you like it or not. Personally I don't like Lactose, Splenda, etc sweetened products. The taste to me is no good. The Lactose sort of fits in a Sweet Stout because the 'creamy' flavor fits. I couldn't see it fitting in a Cider personally, but as always I am all for people experimenting.
__________________
Event Horizon ~ A tribute to the miracle of fermentation.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.
zoebisch01 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2008, 02:45 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,804
Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01
It would work, although it would take some experimentation to see if you like it or not. Personally I don't like Lactose, Splenda, etc sweetened products. The taste to me is no good. The Lactose sort of fits in a Sweet Stout because the 'creamy' flavor fits. I couldn't see it fitting in a Cider personally, but as always I am all for people experimenting.
I chucked a half pound I had left over from my last sweet stout into a batch of the 'ole apfelwein on Sunday out of curiousity. So i'll let you know in a month.

But I feel like a total idiot. I took a OG reading, but needed to go get my reading glasses...and forgot to actually write it down.
__________________

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Revvy is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
zoebisch01
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
zoebisch01's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central PA
Posts: 5,198
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
But I feel like a total idiot. I took a OG reading, but needed to go get my reading glasses...and forgot to actually write it down.

Ahh, worse things have happened I am sure .
__________________
Event Horizon ~ A tribute to the miracle of fermentation.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.
zoebisch01 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2008, 03:37 AM   #7
aliu630
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 137
Default

Yeah, I think i willl try some experiments. I have never used lactose or splenda before. I so may try this route. I actually enjoy the cider the way it is right now, but was thinking about making it sweeter for my friends who may not like it so dry. I'm actually not planning to carbonate this, so I may also try killing the yeast w/ campden tablets ( is this the right thing to use?).

Eager to know the results of ur experiment zoebisch01.

__________________
aliu630 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sweeter wine/cider brianmp Wine Making Forum 8 12-26-2008 05:19 PM
make the cider a little sweeter Tielson's Cider Forum 2 04-07-2008 04:29 PM
Lower temps affect attenuation? Bytor1100 General Beer Discussion 2 04-06-2008 09:42 PM
How can I make it sweeter? Tieme Cider Forum 7 12-30-2007 03:29 AM
Lower Range Attenuation Question RiversC174 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 03-16-2006 01:46 PM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS