Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Looking for a source of pear juice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2009, 08:28 PM   #1
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Looking for a source of pear juice

I found this: Nature's Flavors : Pear Juice Concentrate - Vegan

A gallon of pear juice concentrate for $20. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, I could even mix it to whatever gravity I want and hold some for backsweetening. If it is vegan then I won't have to worry about preservatives. It does say it needs to be shipped 2nd or 3rd day air to keep from spoiling. It doesn't say anything about the mixing rate, what is normal for juice concentrate?

edit: Shipping would cost like $70 on that. There is this though http://www.naturesflavors.com/produc...ca784a9652ef63 that doesn't say it will spoil.

Is there another source out there that other people get their pear juice from that I might have overlooked?

Has anyone tried adding pear extract to cider?

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2775 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Unless you can find it in gallon jugs at a mexican grocery, this is the only other one I have ever seen...

I only know about this because in the winter I braise a porkloin in that stuff with about adozen garlic cloves and rosemary, then strain and reduce it to an awesome sauce. But it is spendy in that bottle size.

How many gallons of pear juice can you make with a gallon of that concentrate? If at 20 bucks you can get enough for a 5 gallon batch of peary or pearfelwein, then that's a great deal.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-04-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
jcobbs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I was going to suggest a Mexican grocery, but Revvy beat me to it. They have juice from things that I didn't know had juice in them.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

I might send them an email at that website to see how much juice a gallon of concentrate makes.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 09-04-2009, 11:14 PM   #5
ndoe22
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My past four batches have been back sweetened with pear concetrate. I bought the concetrate from a local cider maker Fox Barrel. You do need to add a little at a time. I use about 900ml in 5 gallon of cider.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #6
Kananga
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastarine View Post
If it is vegan then I won't have to worry about preservatives.
Eh?

Old 10-03-2009, 06:53 PM   #7
etisdale
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastarine View Post
I found this: Nature's Flavors : Pear Juice Concentrate - Vegan

A gallon of pear juice concentrate for $20. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me, I could even mix it to whatever gravity I want and hold some for backsweetening. If it is vegan then I won't have to worry about preservatives. It does say it needs to be shipped 2nd or 3rd day air to keep from spoiling. It doesn't say anything about the mixing rate, what is normal for juice concentrate?
Thanks for the tip! I just ordered some pear juice concentrate so I can make Birnenwein in accordance with EdWort's Apfelwein recipe.

I read on the site that most of Nature’s Flavors fruit juice concentrates can be diluted at approximately 1 part fruit juice concentrate to 3 parts water. As such, I ordered 1 gallon and 1 quart of pear juice concentrate, which should yield 5 gallons when all is said and done.

Fortunately, shipping is not too expensive for me. All in all, the batch of Birnenwein will cost me just over $40, just about $1.40 per 22 oz bottle.

Should be a worthwhile experiment. I have an Apfelwien about 1.5 weeks into fermentation. It'll be nice to compare them side by side in a few months.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:49 PM   #8
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

Awesome, looking forward to hearing your results.

Another idea just hit me, since I bought a can of AJ concentrate to backsweeten my cider today: It might be practical/tasty to make a dry apple cider and backsweeten with pear juice concentrate, which would cut down on the expense.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:17 PM   #9
Austinhomebrew
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Check this out: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...ducts_id=10649

You could add 4 gallons of cider to this.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:55 AM   #10
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.

Recipes 

I'll keep that in mind. Pears must be expensive, that would be the most I've ever spent on 5gallons of anything other than IIPA.

Quick Reply