The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Looking for Cider recipe ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2005, 06:40 PM   #1
habanero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Looking for Cider recipe ideas

I have two 1-gallon jugs of "all natural" apple juice (no preservatives). I bought a gallon last year, fermented it with some champagne yeast, and was moderately pleased with it. It was drier than I'd like, so I'm looking to do something with ale yeast this year. Since I have two jugs, I'm open to two independent batches.

I'd like one of them to be "spiced," and that's what I'm coming to this group for. I've read references to using cloves, nutmeg, allspice, etc. but I haven't found amounts. Does anyone have a specific recipe to try? Do the spices go into primary, or should I wait until secondary?

What yeast works well? I'd prefer using dry yeast to keep the cost down, although I probably have some White Labs 001 onhand harvested from a pale ale. Nottingham? Lalvin 71b-22? Something else?

I appreciate any suggestions!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2005, 08:56 PM   #2
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

A lot of people on here use Nottingham.

I tried ec1118 and found it a bit too dry and very "tart" tasting. I'll be trying Nottingham next time.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 12-27-2005, 11:32 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

I'm lazy and used one heaping tablespoonful of pumpkin pie spice and one of cinnamon. PP spice has nutmeg, cloves, allspice and cinnamon in it, so I've loaded the cinnamon. This was for five gallons, in the primary.

I may add a couple pounds of brown sugar, depends on how the first ferment goes.

Nottingham.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-28-2005, 06:54 AM   #4
usmcruz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by habanero
I have two 1-gallon jugs of "all natural" apple juice (no preservatives). I bought a gallon last year, fermented it with some champagne yeast, and was moderately pleased with it. It was drier than I'd like, so I'm looking to do something with ale yeast this year. Since I have two jugs, I'm open to two independent batches.

I'd like one of them to be "spiced," and that's what I'm coming to this group for. I've read references to using cloves, nutmeg, allspice, etc. but I haven't found amounts. Does anyone have a specific recipe to try? Do the spices go into primary, or should I wait until secondary?

What yeast works well? I'd prefer using dry yeast to keep the cost down, although I probably have some White Labs 001 onhand harvested from a pale ale. Nottingham? Lalvin 71b-22? Something else?

I appreciate any suggestions!
Ive used about for a 5 gallon batch
3 or 4 cinnamon sticks
6 to 10 whole cloves
1 to 2 tablespoons of orange zest.

boil the cloves and cinnamon for 60 minutes
Put the orange zest in the secondary for a week to two weeks. taste along the way, when you like it bottle.
As for the yeast, you could use kolsch, weihenstephan wheat, trappist ale or whatever will bring out the spicyness in the cloves etc.....

Old 12-29-2005, 01:27 AM   #5
Hard Cider
Recipes 

I prefer to make naturally bottle carbonated cider by adding a bit of juice to the cider when bottling, and I usually use Safale S-04 dry ale yeast. It makes a solid sediment with low esters and a bit of sweetness, although if used to make a dry cider, it can turn out a little more bland than with other yeasts.

Currently, in one of my carboys, I am testing Safbrew T-58, also a dry ale yeast. It is supposed to be quite a lot like the S-04, but with some spiceyness and esters. It doesn't seem to be clearing nearly as fast as the S-04, though.

Good luck to you.
-NL

Last edited by Hard Cider; 12-29-2005 at 01:43 AM.

Quick Reply