Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Long term storage

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2009, 07:45 PM   #11
d510addict
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I think I'm going to have to go with 22 ounce bottles growlers are really expensive for some reason. How effective are oxygen absorbing caps?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 08:43 PM   #12
SeamusMac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by d510addict View Post
I think I'm going to have to go with 22 ounce bottles growlers are really expensive for some reason. How effective are oxygen absorbing caps?
I don't know anyone that has actually used them but I believe they're similar in price to normal caps. Why not spend a few more pennies and try them out for yourself on half your bottles to determine whether or not you deem them to be effective??

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Primary: Brewingcentres Pale Ale
Primary: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat

Kegged: Brewcraft - Cheap 'n' Shiddy Bavarian Wheat
Kegged: Brewcraft - Enhanced Dutch Lager
On Tap: Brewcraft - Irish Stout

Old 11-25-2009, 04:18 AM   #13
jcobbs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

My LHBS keeps used bottles around and sells them for literally pennies apiece. I picked up a couple of 1.5 liter ones while there the other day. I bottled some cider & corked them with regular corks using my little plastic hand corker. When I go back I'm going to pick up a few tasting corks (the kind with the little plastic top for opening and re-closing; like they use at Olive Garden). Then when I open a cider I'll pop in a tasting cork for a couple of days until the bottle is finished. From your description it sounds like that might be an inexpensive way to bottle in the size you want.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:04 AM   #14
d510addict
Recipes 

I just scrounged up a bunch of widmere beer bottles. But I have more questions............ If they have been sitting awhile and have some slight mold growing and have old beer in them, would soaking them in hot water and 409 while i scrub the crap out of the outside to rid them of glue and label, then run them through the dishwasher with some detergent then again without detergent for a good rinse work well enough to clean them before storage? So that when I want to bottle all i need to do is jet it out and sanitize.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:50 PM   #15
Uncleflea21
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckinball9 View Post
actually growlers work great if you have the right caps.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...63ce19f09acb29

these polyseal caps are way better than the single use caps you normally get.

now obviously once you open the growler oxygen is introduced so you do want to consume the cider within a few days. but especially if its not carbonated to begin with, there is no reason no to use growlers with the polyseal caps.

there are a LOT of people on HBT that regurgitate stuff they have read like it is fact, when in truth they have no experience on the subject. i use growlers all the time. I even carbonate in them! ( A big NO-NO most folks on here will tell you.) the key is the poly seal cap, don't over prime if you are naturally carbing, and once a growler is opened it should be kept in the fridge and consumed withing a week or two.
I agree, I used the polyseal caps and stored my cider in a growler for almost a year. It was stored in very bad conditions, I left the cider in my pantry over the course of a summer in which it got up to 90 degrees inside. I could actually see fermentation bubbles during hotter summer days.

When I opened the bottle a few months later (November) it came out well and had a nice carbonation too it. I will say that I didn't prime my cider at all, I let it sit in a primary for 3.5 weeks, the secondary for 7.5 weeks and then bottled. The final alcohol content was about 13%.

In the future, I plan to store the growlers in a fridge or in the basement where the temperature is cooler and there is less chance of exploding bottles, just to err on the side of caution.

Quick Reply