Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Liquid Invert Sugar? Substitutes?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2005, 10:16 PM   #1
zoom233
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Liquid Invert Sugar? Substitutes?

I started a cider kit from Vinoka a few days ago. On the directions it calls for adding Liquid Invert Sugar before carbonating and bottling. It does say you can use store bought sugar or corn sugar but not "Brewers Glucose". Maybe I'm just being critical but I used cane sugar before in a beer since I didn't know any better and it tastes like crap. What the heck is LIS? Is cane sugar really an OK substitute? How about honey, would that work? Honey sounds yummy but would it taste funny?

TIA,
Bryan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2005, 11:27 PM   #2
ScottT

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11-3.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invert_sugar

Scott

Primary: Empty

Secondary #2: Empty

Bottle Conditioning: Oatmeal Stout

Drinking from Keg: Ordinary Bitter, Kolsch

Drinking bottled: Brown Autumn Wee Heavy
Hefe Weizen
Peaches and Cream Weizen

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption... Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck.

Next up: Hefe Weizen

Old 11-23-2005, 12:40 AM   #3
zoom233
Recipes 

I don't think the sugar is for priming as you are supposed to carbonate with CO2. I think the sugar is to sweeten up the cider. There is apple juice concentrate that you put in the fermenter with water. Then after it's done fermenting there is another flavor concentrate you add before carbonating and bottling. On the side of the flavor concentrate it says for dry cider add the concentrate and 150ml of LIS, for medium dry cider add the concentrate and 400ml of LIS.

Call me crazy if you like but I like sweet stuff so I'd at least opt for the medium dry cider.

I wonder though what would prevent the LIS from being eaten by what ever yeast is left from fermenting? It doesn't mention having to add anything to kill the yeast unless it is the Potassium Metabisulphite or Potassium Sorbate that comes with the kit (probably is huh?).

Without looking to find out as I type this I am betting the potassium stuff is to kill the yeast and then what ever sugar I add will stay in for sweetening. So on this train of though would the honey work I was thinking about? Would it taste funny? Like I said it sounds good but I don't know that I have ever had a honey cider.

Thanks,
Bryan

Old 11-23-2005, 12:46 AM   #4
ScottT

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom233
I wonder though what would prevent the LIS from being eaten by what ever yeast is left from fermenting? It doesn't mention having to add anything to kill the yeast unless it is the Potassium Metabisulphite or Potassium Sorbate that comes with the kit (probably is huh?).

Without looking to find out as I type this I am betting the potassium stuff is to kill the yeast and then what ever sugar I add will stay in for sweetening. So on this train of though would the honey work I was thinking about? Would it taste funny? Like I said it sounds good but I don't know that I have ever had a honey cider.

Thanks,
Bryan
You've got it. The addition of the Potassium Metabisulphate and Potassium sorbate will prevent any future growth of yeast. It's best to cold condition first to drop as many yeast out of suspension as possible then rack over onto the metabisulphate and sorbate. Any sugar you add after that will stay there to sweeten the cider. Honey should work fine.

Scott

Primary: Empty

Secondary #2: Empty

Bottle Conditioning: Oatmeal Stout

Drinking from Keg: Ordinary Bitter, Kolsch

Drinking bottled: Brown Autumn Wee Heavy
Hefe Weizen
Peaches and Cream Weizen

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption... Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck.

Next up: Hefe Weizen

Old 11-23-2005, 06:45 AM   #5
zoom233
Recipes 

Yeah, it says after the ferment slows down to put it in a cold room for 4 days to help it settle then you are supposed to filter it and add the concentrate, sugar, and Potassium stuff.

Thanks,
Bryan

Quick Reply