The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > "lightly" sorbated cider?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
divi2323
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Default "lightly" sorbated cider?

Went to the local (60 miles away) orchard today to pick up some of the last of their cider stock to make what I need to get me through the summer.

I called them ahead of time, and asked if they had any preservatives or additives to their juice. The response was no. awesome.

got there, picked up a jug (milk carton type in their local market store) and read the label,

Looked at the label to make sure it's got nothing to hinder me. first one I found. no additives on the label. Loaded up 20, put them in the truck and headed back home. (another 60 miles)

got home and noticed that one of the labels was different. I read closer and it says it's got less than 0.1% sorbate for freshness.... needless to say i'm irritated and thought, well what if it's just one out of 20. wouldnt you know it, 17 out of 20 have the same thing.

So my new question to you guys is posed... 0.1% is .001 * 128 oz in a gallon which is 1/8 of an ounce (0.125). 1/8 ounce (liquid) is a teaspoon of sorbate per gallon. Now i'm a bit stuck and not sure if I can use this stuff.

Anyone ever overcome a sorbated brew before? would it be possible to hit it with just a massive infusion of yeast to get it to ferment?

I know I probably should have checked every label, but I feel a bit misled here. Even if I found they all had sorbate, it was a contradiction of what was told to me over the phone prior to going there.

Suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
nukinfuts29
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You already know from the other post, but for future searching minds the answer is.....drum roll....

It will work fine. I use juice with 0.1% or less sorbate all the time with no issues. It won't slow the yeast down one bit.

My Recipes: Drunken Emu Hard Cider, Drunken Emu Mississippi River Water
The Jack Keller Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
Patience, my Padawon. The yeast can sense your tension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Maybe you want to educate yourself instead of just having a bunch of pre-conceived notions based on ignorance.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukinfuts29 View Post
You already know from the other post, but for future searching minds the answer is.....drum roll....

It will work fine. I use juice with 0.01% or less sorbate all the time with no issues. It won't slow the yeast down one bit.
Huge difference between 0.01% and .1%, though!

I have never had good luck with starting a ferment with a sorbated cider or juice (or with sodium benzoate) but I've only been doing this about 7 or 8 years. I haven't tried lately, since I had poor results previously. It's probably possible, at least in theory.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:01 PM   #4
nukinfuts29
Recipes 

Gah why do I keep adding that stupid extra zero. My ciders are .1%, I'll edit my post.

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe you want to educate yourself instead of just having a bunch of pre-conceived notions based on ignorance.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:17 AM   #5
GinKings
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by divi2323 View Post
So my new question to you guys is posed... 0.1% is .001 * 128 oz in a gallon which is 1/8 of an ounce (0.125). 1/8 ounce (liquid) is a teaspoon of sorbate per gallon.
I think you might have a problem if your cider has 1 tsp per gallon. The instructions on my jar of sorbate calls for 1/2 tsp per gallon to prevent fermentation. I would suggest using the three gallons of un-sorbated cider as a starter to get the yeast going before adding to the other cider.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:19 AM   #6
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinKings View Post
I would suggest using the three gallons of un-sorbated cider as a starter to get the yeast going before adding to the other cider.
Ditto what GinKings said.

"Lightly sorbated"... Is that like "slightly pregnant"?
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider

Old 12-22-2011, 01:41 AM   #7
divi2323
Recipes 

Quote:
I think you might have a problem if your cider has 1 tsp per gallon. The instructions on my jar of sorbate calls for 1/2 tsp per gallon to prevent fermentation. I would suggest using the three gallons of un-sorbated cider as a starter to get the yeast going before adding to the other cider.
ugh, 3 gallons of unsorbated... to every gallon of one i've got? If you think my wife thinks i'm crazy now, imagine when I tell her I want to make 80 gallons of cider instead of 20

Old 12-22-2011, 01:43 AM   #8
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by divi2323 View Post
ugh, 3 gallons of unsorbated... to every gallon of one i've got? If you think my wife thinks i'm crazy now, imagine when I tell her I want to make 80 gallons of cider instead of 20
I was thinking start the 3 gallons, then add that to the other 17.

Are you going to be doing all this in 1 barrel, or multiple carboys?
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Currently Fermenting:
Skeeter Pee
Blueberry Cider

Bottle Conditioning:
None

In Bottles / Drinking:
Cranberry Cider
Citron Cider

Old 12-22-2011, 01:50 AM   #9
divi2323
Recipes 

Unfortunately multiple carboys. would love to do it in one large batch but space and convenience wont let that happen.

It'll likely be 3x 5/6 gal buckets, a 3 gal carboy and a pair of 5 gallon carboys.

I'll probably give a couple gallons a test tonight and see if I cant get them to bubble up tonight. If not, i guess i'm going to be drinking a gallon of apple juice a day for 3 weeks.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:38 AM   #10
nukinfuts29
Recipes 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateMike View Post
Ditto what GinKings said.

"Lightly sorbated"... Is that like "slightly pregnant"?

It's not needed, unless you have junk yeast the 0.1% is not going to stop it.

Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply