Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > legality question
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 05:06 AM   #1
kewlio250
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default legality question

Is it legal to use motts products in a commercially produced cider?

Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 05:35 AM   #2
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yes.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Old 04-30-2012, 06:41 AM   #3
kewlio250
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klyph View Post
Yes.
any steps i could take to do so legally, maybe strike a deal with the nice folks over at mott's?

Old 04-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
LeBreton
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewlio250 View Post
any steps i could take to do so legally, maybe strike a deal with the nice folks over at mott's?
Call them up and ask if they will deliver bulk juice. The tricky part is the legal making of a commercial cider.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

What are your legal concerns?

Old 04-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #6
sudsmcgee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 52

If you're buying the juice (not stealing it), you can pretty much do what you want with it since it's your juice to use as you please.

"If you're here for the premature ejaculators meeting, you've come too soon."

Old 04-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #7
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The only legal issue I can think of would be if you were wanting to use the Mott's name in your marketing. I'm no lawyer but I'm sure this would lead to a lot of issues.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

While not a lawyer, based on my layperson's understanding, I agree with the above assessments. There's no problem using any juice you can get your hands on, but you will have to be very careful if you want to use anyone else's trademark in any way. You'd probably be technically safe with something like "Kewlio's Cider, made with Mott's Apple Juice[*]" plus a footnote that explains that Mott's is not involved with the cider fermentation. However, in the trademark realm, "technically correct" is only a defense if you have the funding to defend a very expensive lawsuit from a massive company, so in practice you don't want to go anywhere near a big trademark.

My question is why would you want to use Mott's juice? For a serious commercial operation, you're probably going to want to find someone who'll cut you a good deal on wholesale juice. I don't know much about the juice industry, but I think you'd want to look into the distribution side of things---the wholesale market may look a lot different from what a consumer sees on the supermarket shelves. Certainly I'd look into that before picking out any particular manufacturer.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
kewlio250
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeg View Post
While not a lawyer, based on my layperson's understanding, I agree with the above assessments. There's no problem using any juice you can get your hands on, but you will have to be very careful if you want to use anyone else's trademark in any way. You'd probably be technically safe with something like "Kewlio's Cider, made with Mott's Apple Juice[*]" plus a footnote that explains that Mott's is not involved with the cider fermentation. However, in the trademark realm, "technically correct" is only a defense if you have the funding to defend a very expensive lawsuit from a massive company, so in practice you don't want to go anywhere near a big trademark.

My question is why would you want to use Mott's juice? For a serious commercial operation, you're probably going to want to find someone who'll cut you a good deal on wholesale juice. I don't know much about the juice industry, but I think you'd want to look into the distribution side of things---the wholesale market may look a lot different from what a consumer sees on the supermarket shelves. Certainly I'd look into that before picking out any particular manufacturer.
i wouldnt be crediting any ingredients in the label or website, just wondering, and i would be getting it done in bulk if anything, also what kind of permits would i have to apply for to be able to commercially ferment and distribute cider?

Old 04-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
fbangie
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Wouldn't a hard cider fall under the same laws as wine, beer and/or any other product that contains alcohol? Kewlio250, you need to talk to a lawyer for both concerns. I know nothing about the law but I do know if someone used a product of mine to make their product I'd wanna know and I might even tell you to indicate on your label that my product was used to make your product. Dude search out a lawyer and they'll make sure your legal bases are covered. Good luck with you endeavor.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply