Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Leftover yeast cake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2009, 04:22 AM   #1
joentuff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Leftover yeast cake

Ok I have heard of people reusing the yeast cake after racking off their brew, so here Is my plan. I made a southern cider which consist of 4gal apple juice, 3cans of concentrate, 1# honey, 4oz mollases. I put it all in a 6gal glass Carboy and it has been sitting for almost 4 weeks. I am planning on racking it into a secondary later this week. My question is after racking it off can I just add my ingredients to the left over cake on the bottom? I have heard about doing this befor but I haven't ever really tried it? What are the pros and cons of doing this? Thank to all the pros out there who chime in on this one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2009, 05:30 AM   #2
JMSetzler
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 24

If you are going to make another batch of the same recipe, I think you will be fine. The cons are that some of the flavor of the concentrate, honey, and molasses will be left behind, and it's only a con if you are going to do something different in the next recipe. I would also consider letting it sit for another four weeks.... It will really clarify nicely...

Kamado Joe Cooking Channel - Grillin' up a Storm!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply