Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Lees in secondary and taste is drab.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #11
KWKSLVR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Also, as far as lees in secondary, it can't hurt one bit. If anything, with Apfelwein, it'll help. People let theirs sit on the lees for 6+ months. You can always rack it one more time before you bottle. For fun, I put 1 gallon of mine into growlers sitting on some lees. I'm not planning on touching it for a year. Granted, it sucks to have growlers tied up like that but oh well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #12
Nivek
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I am glad to have taken the advice in here. Shortly after creating this I added one can of apple juice concentrate and 16 oz of an incredibly strong black tea - 6 teaspoons of English Breakfast steeped hot @ 195f for 40 minutes. Holy strong.

Anyway, I bottled yesterday and the batch is vastly better. There is body in the brew that I can clearly envision improving over time as it has a knock you on your arse quality to it right now.

I have a couple other smaller batches going already. Slight variations from the recipe database here. This hobby is quite consuming.

Thanks again gender ambiguous forum folks.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #13
HappyWino
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would just like to chip in that using a wine yeast seems to strip out most of the apple flavor and the resulting brew needs significant aging to come back around. Using an ale yeast like Safale 04 will leave a lot more apple flavor, even when fermented dry.

At the end of the day I guess it all comes down to the style of cider you prefer and how long you are willing to age it for. Personally, I like a much more appley flavor and I am impatient

Cheers

HW

Old 02-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #14
KWKSLVR
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by divi2323 View Post
+1 for the acid and tannin additions.

Alternatively you might oak it for a softer feel. You can get oak chips or an oak spiral at your local home brew supply. I did this with a harsh jet fuel cider I had and it came out very good. The oak mixed with the spices very nicely and its one of my favorite batches.
How long did you age yours in oak? I've got some French Oak cubes that I'm planning to toss into a batch of cider. Did you use a hop bag or anything like that or just toss them in and move the cider over to a fresh vessel when it got where you wanted it?

Quick Reply